thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jay cal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Im heading to Puket in Jan for a few months.Im looking forward to doing a few liveaboard trips but cash is a little tight.I was planning on doing some shore diving in the NW around Koh Phra Thong or Khuraburi ect.Any suggestions,Im open to any areas, also anyone who is doing some shore diving.Im a experienced DM Thanks Jay

Hello Jay.

Koh Phra Thong & Khuraburi are interesting choices for diving in Thailand. These areas are rarely dived and not well known amongst the community of divers in Thailand. I know this because I own the only dive shop, Blue Guru Diving, sourcing divers from Khuraburi and Koh Phra Thong.

You can only dive seagrass and mangrove in the Khuraburi area. These are not popular habitats for recreational diving in Thailand and we rarely get any demand. We do however run Richelieu Rock, Surin Islands and Koh Tachai diving trips from Khuraburi.

Koh Phra Thong has scuba diving at Koh Pling and Hornbill Rocks. These are fascinating sites with a vast assortment of macro life - including many species of nudibranch, cephalopods, pipefish and colourful juveniles. Hornbill Rocks attracts some big stingrays. We have regular observations of large Honeycomb Whiptail rays from January to March.

The big drawback of our local sites is that they are maximum 10m and the visibility is highly dependent on ocean swell.

Chris

Jay, in the Khao Lak area there may not be shore diving but trips to the local wrecks by longtail are very affordable (around 2000 Baht) - and especially Boonsung is a brilliant dive site with lots of life.......Just saying :wink:

Karin

I am considering going to Thailand next December. I have heard that best diving is on the west side. I am considering Khao Lak, Krabi, Phuket, or Koh Phi Phi for diving. I can't do a live aboard since I am bringing non-divers also. Which have the best local boat diving? Do any of these places have good walls?

How long are the boat rides, and when do they usually get back in the afternoon?
I would have non divers with us that I would like to spend some time with,
Does anyone else know anything about any of the other sites I mentioned?

From Phuket the boat rides are about 1,5 hours, further to the Bida islands. Shark Poiint area and Bida islands are closer by from Phi Phi, about the same distance from Krabi as from Phuket.

Similans from Phuket is 1,5 hours minibus transfer, and 1,5 hours speedboat transfer. From Khao Lak you have about 10 minutes minibus transfer and the same speedboat transfer.

The Phuket boats return, depending on divesites and number of dives, normally between 16.00 hours for 2 dives Racha Yai to 18.30 hours for 3 dives Bida Islands.

How long are the boat rides, and when do they usually get back in the afternoon?
I would have non divers with us that I would like to spend some time with,
Does anyone else know anything about any of the other sites I mentioned?
My past experience of diving on Phuket:
1. Pick up from the hotel and then the rest of the gang. This normally took in excess of 1hr. Phuket is pretty big and with several beaches BUT for what ever reason, nearly all the day divers board the boats on the same beach.
2. Not all the dive shop run their day boats or actually own any boat at all!!!! So some of them will pool their clients together!!!! On one occasion there were at least 30 of us on one boat diving the same site at the same time!!!!! Imagine 30 divers + dm on one tiny King Cruiser wreck!!!!!
3. The day trip was far too long and tiring. I only used it as a check out dive prior to the liveaboard trip to Similan. If you have non-diver with you, one day is probably is all you need. BTY, the diving around Phuket is very ordinary.
4. Haven't dived Phuket for several years so thing might change for better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom