Thank You to Florida Fish and Wildlife Officer in the Upper Keys today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Today while enroute to Molasses Reef for my wifes first dive in 8 years.(Broken eardrum on the North Wall of Cayman Islands made her lose any enthusiasm) I am proud to say she did well and is looking forward to more diving.

Now to the part about FWC. My wife noticed a turtle on the surface(at least 4 feet long) maybe a loggerhead( a mile off pickles reef). The turtle could not submerge at all and was trying repeatedly. My wife and I could not see any fishing line or bruises on it but it was much too big for us to pull on the boat.

We first tried to hail the FWC on CH 16 because I did not have cell service for some reason but to no regard. I then called the Coast Guard who contacted FWC but no ETA or disposition was given to us. I then called the turtle hospital in Marathon who were interested but it was too far by boat to respond obviously(50 miles.). I finally was able to get thru to FWC who logged the call and said someone would respond.
We waited about 1 hr and a half and no one responded, so unfortunately we had to leave.

Approximately 2 hrs later we were contacted and a FWC officer was asking for a location where we last saw it(he was going to search).

While back at the dock I received a call that the turtle was found and rescued off French Reef and It took 5 people to put it on the boat. This officer(FWC) went above and beyond to search for this turtle(called me repeatedly asking for depth of water I was in, direction the turtle was swimming in etc).

The officer let my wife name it and said that pix were taken and should appear in next weeks Upper Keys Reporter. A feel good story for today.

That's awesome! So what name is she giving it?

Today while enroute to Molasses Reef for my wifes first dive in 8 years.(Broken eardrum on the North Wall of Cayman Islands made her lose any enthusiasm) I am proud to say she did well and is looking forward to more diving.

Now to the part about FWC. My wife noticed a turtle on the surface(at least 4 feet long) maybe a loggerhead( a mile off pickles reef). The turtle could not submerge at all and was trying repeatedly. My wife and I could not see any fishing line or bruises on it but it was much too big for us to pull on the boat.

We first tried to hail the FWC on CH 16 because I did not have cell service for some reason but to no regard. I then called the Coast Guard who contacted FWC but no ETA or disposition was given to us. I then called the turtle hospital in Marathon who were interested but it was too far by boat to respond obviously(50 miles.). I finally was able to get thru to FWC who logged the call and said someone would respond.
We waited about 1 hr and a half and no one responded, so unfortunately we had to leave.

Approximately 2 hrs later we were contacted and a FWC officer was asking for a location where we last saw it(he was going to search).

While back at the dock I received a call that the turtle was found and rescued off French Reef and It took 5 people to put it on the boat. This officer(FWC) went above and beyond to search for this turtle(called me repeatedly asking for depth of water I was in, direction the turtle was swimming in etc).

The officer let my wife name it and said that pix were taken and should appear in next weeks Upper Keys Reporter. A feel good story for today.
Cant wait to hear what you named it and see the pictures here as well. GREAT JOB

Mod Note:

I moved this thread out of "Trips and Marketplace" since it's not selling anything.

Besides, it should get more traffic here. :D

Terry Carmen,

Thats a very cool story, thanks for your efforts too. That turtle has a fighting chance now because you took the time to stop and help :callme:. Please keep us updated when pictures are available.

Thnx all, the name will be Liza after our cat

Love it and cant wait to see some pictures. Thanks so much for sharing that story with us. Its nice to hear.

What was wrong with the turtle, did thet tell you?

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom