Thanks !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captain:
My opinion on scuba is you never will have enough gas to handle any possible situation and you must accept that. If you can't than solo may not be for you. Twin 120's may not get out of a really bad entangement or other entrapment even if fairly shallow. Not saying it's likely but it is possible.

I agree with captain on this, Double 120's may be overkill but I'd rather have more than enough instead of too little gas. Gas management is also a big key to good planning too.

About 90% of my dives are solo. about 70% of those are dives with students, which really is actually a solo dive if you think about it. A student on dive one or two is not really going to be any help in a real emergency.
After teaching OW classes for a couple weekends I can hardly wait to go find a nice solitary spot and swim around by myself for a while. For me it really brings back to mind the reason I initially fell in love with this sport and enjoy teaching so much

Kangy:
About 90% of my dives are solo. about 70% of those are dives with students, which really is actually a solo dive if you think about it. A student on dive one or two is not really going to be any help in a real emergency.
I certainly understand that sentiment, as even with certified "buddies", there tends to be good reason for me to be diving solo+buddy. (With my usual buddy, the diving is as a very solid, very attentive buddy team, but we don't always dive together -- I dive too much. :D)

[hijack]Not so much a hijack as a parenthetical, but if I were looking for information on diving Okinawa, Kangy, where might I look or who might I ask? My significant buddy is teaching English in Japan, so next time I visit, we're thinking about flying to Okinawa to dive, since it's a domestic flight for her and wouldn't require all the paperwork. :)[/hijack]

reeldive:
Thanks to "do it easy", "Caribeandiver", "1 T submariner" and any others who posted a reply

Ive added a 19 cf pony and reg to my equipment already== just in case. I try to pick my dive buddies a bit more cautiously now as well- a bit more than "lets go dive, we'll use my boat" one guy I dove with just said> "see you on yhe bottom": another I noticed was useing his octo as primary- his primary didn't work as well and hadn't been overhauled in 9 yrs. yet another rolled off with < 200 psi in his tank for a 70+ foot dive - he stayed pretty close to me and used my octo for the accent- found out after the dive what was going on-- OK I will get solo certified and be my own best buddy!!

except when diveing with the many responsible divers I've had the pleasure of meeting and diveing with one of whom is my wife

Glad to see you made it to this thread. Welcome aboard. Have you signed up for a rescue diver course yet? I think it's a worthwhile class for all divers but I really find the value of the class while soloing. I would like to meet you sometime. I'll be down on the Gulf the Week of June 8-15th. I'll be staying in Gulf shores and we have an Oriskany trip lined up while I am there. Have you dove the Chippewa or Akkokeek. Those are some of my favorites out of PCB.

AL

Rescue cert + oxygen are both on my must do list this summer, as well as the Chippewa and the Akkokeek

Need a realy good weather window to do the offshore wrecks in my boat. Some of the other club members at Tyndall have larger boats and we do try to do club dives at least once a month.

Going to do the liveaboard thing in May so will be here in June. Maybe we can get together for a dive then. my Xtall Ball doesn't have a long range mode.

reeldive:
Rescue cert + oxygen are both on my must do list this summer, as well as the Chippewa and the Akkokeek

Need a realy good weather window to do the offshore wrecks in my boat. Some of the other club members at Tyndall have larger boats and we do try to do club dives at least once a month.

Going to do the liveaboard thing in May so will be here in June. Maybe we can get together for a dive then. my Xtall Ball doesn't have a long range mode.

Where are you going in May? My second favorites are the concrete bridge rubble if I'm spearfishing or the Blackbart. Which should be doable in your boat. I'll keep in touch and maybe we can get a dive together.

AL

The BART is an old friend. Have you seen the blenies on the port side bow? got a good pic. i believe it's a Seaweed blenny. I'll check and see if I posted it. If not I will.

dove Hathaway 7,8,9 yesterday. Will post my partners 30 lb AJ. tide line was 7 mi out so had to do the offshore thing to find good viz. Bottom temp 62 and viz 30' +

Attachments

• Seaweed Blenny.jpg
    Seaweed Blenny.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 41

Back
Top Bottom