That feeling when you lose your gear...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So we were diving the Cooper river. I was using a can light with Goodman handle. One thing lead to another and the light head was ripped form the handle. I made it back safe and sound on the boat without the handle. Happy that I made it out alive with my first Meg but minus one Goodman handle. Fast forward to a year later and diving at the same spot. When we all get back on the boat we check out each others finds. One guy was digging thru his catch bag and pulls out something. He said, " I have no idea what this is." I did! My Goodman handle lost over a year ago.
I did the weight pouch find and realize that it is mine thing.
Lost to some other cavers, that needed my full set of side mount Poseidon regs., more than I did. Left on the bench at Peacock.

My computer was knocked off my wrist in midwater whilst bringing a panicking diver to the surface from a depth of around 25m (82ft). Due to conditions and the current diving schedule I wasn't able to return and search the area for almost two months, at which point I had accepted the fact that I'd probably never find it. Six months later, a friend of mine stumbled across it and sent it my way.

After nearly eight months at sea I didn't expect it to work. Yet somehow, with a tap of a hammer, and a good twenty minutes shaking the sand out, it worked! minus a few pixels.
View attachment 424767
So what decompression was the computer asking you to do after 8 months down below?

That feeling is frustration mixed with panic -_- and an imaginary face palm

I lost my camera in Cayman last year. Lanyard came off. It was a moment of panic and looking back down for it. I figured it fell somewhere within the area - probably within a 15 ft perimeter but I couldn't find it. I thought of the current but it couldn't have drifted too far. Then I started to look suspiciously at the fish o_O ...coz something fishy sure was going on coz there's no way it could've disappeared suddenly. Then after awhile someone surfaced with my camera! Yey!☺ I was relieved... And so were the fish

Next time gonna secure gear to myself a lot better.

But then find it during the dive! :yeahbaby:

Somehow my SMB unclipped from my butt dring when I rolled off. I'm thinking about adding a sleeve instead. Aside from preventing it from unclipping it's a little annoying having your SMB chasing your tail throughout a dive.

Viz was bad though, ended up losing a shaft. :facepalm:

What have you lost and you thought for sure you'd never find only to be surprised when you do?

I love my Dive Rite SMB and butt pouch, but if you don't like Dive Rite, Halcyon makes a fine one too.

I once lost ALL of my gear in 1977. A set of double 72's, mask, fins, weights, regulators, knife, etc. etc. Everything! It all ran off with an ex-girlfriend.

Ouch!

Over the years I've lost two fins, two dive knives, one mask and (the worst thing) my wife's dive computer. She wasn't very happy.

It ended up in my bag somehow and I clipped it onto my BCD as a backup while solo diving. It was gone when I surfaced.

But then find it during the dive! :yeahbaby:

Somehow my SMB unclipped from my butt dring when I rolled off. I'm thinking about adding a sleeve instead. Aside from preventing it from unclipping it's a little annoying having your SMB chasing your tail throughout a dive.

Viz was bad though, ended up losing a shaft. :facepalm:

What have you lost and you thought for sure you'd never find only to be surprised when you do?

I usually hang my Vyper Air over the tank valve between dives. It was my third (shore) dive of the day I merrily started swimming towards the drop-off, only to shout an enthusiastic S**T. I went back to where I started and began to swim parallel tracks to where I first noticed it was missing.

About 20 minutes later I found it happily resting on the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom