the 1000$ question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jarhed:
I think a used DUI is better than most other new drysuits. I have a CF200 I got on Craigslist for $850 and my wife dives a 50/50 she got on e-bay for $1100. You need to be carful about fit when buying used, but with a little research and care, we found great fitting used suits in our price range that are of the best quality.

Just my .02psi.

Take care,
John

A used DUI is still an expensive suit (probably twice the price of a used suit from someone else). That said, DUI makes nice suits (as do others). If you're looking for a DUI and don't know your size, one option is just to hit up the DUI demo days in May (I believe the 5th and 6th) at Stage Fort Park. Not sure they'd be thrilled with you using them for that purpose, but it'd also give you a chance to take a few suits for a spin.

Somehow one's measurements don't equate to the measurement guides put out by the various DS companies to any exacting standards. You'll want to get in any suit you're considering buying. The DUI demo days program is a cheap way ($8) not only to get in the suit, but to actually dive it.

Rainer:
... one option is just to hit up the DUI demo days in May (I believe the 5th and 6th) at Stage Fort Park. Not sure they'd be thrilled with you using them for that purpose, ...

On the contrary, that's what they have the demo days for - just to get folks interested and to experiment a bit with the suits. They assume that once you try their suits, you'll buy one of them. I've got a TLS-350 and really like it. In any event, it'll give you a chance to see what they're like.

I second the PG Dive recommendation made by Matt. Bought a gently used Bare ATR/HD trilam dry suit there last August(tax free day!) w/ latex seals for $600 and got an inflator hose and class + two dives included. The only thing I would recommend is that you might want to get a dry suit w/ the neoprene booties and not the big huge hard soled rubber boot-like thing. I've heard from lots of folks that the boot tends to fill w/ air if you're not careful which could cause you to become inverted in the water. I went w/ the soft sock and the Trek Boots...works for me. Another option could be the black Chuch Taylors a la Matt Silvia.

Good luck,

LobstaMan

Present the $1000 question to your Local Dive Shop and see what they can do. Just tell em you want better than a Bare Nexgen. I got my new Oceanic Flex here in CT for $500 because it was sitting on the shelf for a while and just happen to fit me. The seals themselves can't sit on a shelf with out rotting due to Ozone exposure so dry suits have to move and you could get a deal and a good fit. My suit is on its 4th year now and seems to be doing well.

Yeah. Talk to Paul at PG. He carries Bare, Pinnacle and DUI and he can direct you to the right suit for your budget and the type of diving your doing. He'll give you the straight skinny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom