The airlines suck! New fees! Complain now!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How long before they just go for a total allowable weight: Passenger + checked bags +
carryons?

A lot of airports (not airlines) introduced new rules during the second half of 2005.
Example
http://www.qatarairways.com/6.2273.0.0.1.0.htm

They say it is to comply with new international directives & regulations and reduce the number of ground handling staff injuries as well as damage to airport facilities.

By coincidence we flew up to Zurich from Brazil with SWISS for Christmas and there were new rules in force also (as from November).
We were allowed 2 pieces each up to 23kg free.
Any piece over 23 kg paid 25USD per piece.
Absolute maximum weight for any piece, 32kg.
Anything over 32kg had to be repacked at checkin (they supplied plastic bags & cardboard boxes).
If you couldn't get it below 32kg it would have to go air cargo.

Cabin baggage was 1 piece of 8kg and they were being strict about it at the boarding gate.

Indybob:
Finally got to the front of the line, threw the "heavy" bag onto the scale and saw 56#...immediately put another next to it....total now 98# and told her "checking 2", they were passed as being ok.
While saving fuel and gaining revenue from overweight charges is part of the picture, reducing workplace injuries is another. Even when the limit for domestic flights was still 70# per bag max limit, some of the airlines I frequented would slap a bright orange "HEAVY" sticker on anything over 50#.

Indybob:
............. Finally got to the front of the line, threw the "heavy" bag onto the scale and saw 56#...immediately put another next to it....total now 98# and told her "checking 2", they were passed as being ok.

That doesn't always work. If you ask the terminal gate person, they will tell you that each bag is judged independently of each other. You got a friendly one!

Whats even more riddiculous, is how far off those scales are from one airport to another. another poster mentioned your bathroom scale, well last year I went to Hawaii, on the way there my bag weighed 56 and 58, on the way back they were 40 and 44... BTW both times they weigned in on a bathroom scale as 48 and 46 respectivly...how poor is that.

Noticed in the business section of the paper last week all of the little things airlines were starting to do to get themselves out of the red . . .United has proposed to start charging $2 per checked bag while other airlines are going to start charging $1 for those dixie cups of soda and 1/2 ounce snack . . .there comes a point where these ideas come off as being just plain cheap and a pain in the behind.

DandyDon:
Ron, you may have noticed that I post that my 19 cf pony goes where I go. For a couple of years the TSA would not actually address the issue and I didn't even bother removing the valve. Now I do, and just replace it before taking it to the local dive shop for a fill. No, I don't viz it every time. I personally pack and handle it, and it's for my personal use, so I feel comfortable with the responsibility.

Anyway, the pony & valve go inside the bag, which the airline does not open. I stand and watch in Lubbock as TSA opens it for inspection, with a copy of the TSA current document on tanks in the little bag with the pony - no problems. On return from destination, I often don't get to watch, but still - after dozens of trips, no problems. :wink:
In my experience with Southwest, United, and American Airlines I've never had any problem with my gear or paying extra fees. Like DandyDon says, I pack my 19cf pony in my carry on bag and the airline never knows it's there. I do remove the valve and let the TSA check it out, as well as take along a print-out of the the TSA's website page saying depressurized tanks are okay. They always ask if my checked luggage has a tank in it but have never asked about my carry on.

divetraveler:
. . .there comes a point where these ideas come off as being just plain cheap and a pain in the behind.

Yes, I agree. We had a 'Buy on Board' meal program on our flights for a while. I was embarrassed to have to tell people about it. I felt like we were nickle & dime - ing our passengers to death.

Originally Posted by DeputyDan
Use the Skycap. the tip is the best money you can spend....
Skycaps are not available for internatioal flights in Chicago. At O'Hare there are sometimes guys who will wheel your luggage into the airport, but they just leave it on the floor, near the ticket counter. You still have to put it on the scale for the ticket agent to weigh & tag. At Midway, after you have waited in line for them, they will then advise you to go inside & stand in line.

I usually do not charge for overweight bags. It is a decision that I make at the ticket counter, not a corporate one. The ticket agents advise me of the bags weight and then I decide. I have only charged a few times in almost 6 years. I usually have the passenger try & distribute it among other bags, if its really bad.
Not just because I'm a diver, BUT...divers know how to travel light. They take the bare minimum of non-diving items.
But let me say this, most people pack like they are moving there. I am talking about people who are going to a tropical vacation for less than a week & have two 70# bags, each. I have gone on non-diving trips, for a week, with just a backpack. And I still had items that I didn't need.

Also, women are the biggest offender of packing like complete idiots.

There is just no way for someone to justify an entire suitcase of just shoes. I usually have a talk with these people (women) & explain why it is a problem. It's these high maintenance, big-haired women that are the worst.

I'm not sure why the airlines are targeting divers and let golf clubs go without a problem. After all, money is money.

(except XL jets) goes in a carryon.

Eliminates all the fretting about losing dive gear and excess wt charges on checked luggage.

i just flew with american to cancun last week and they did not seem to care what was in my bag. they never asked what was in it. all of my gear was in a carryon except for my fins.

Back
Top Bottom