The all-inclusive IRIS software/interface trouble shooting note

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DI_Guy:
Has anyone else used a Mares M1-rgbm with an IRIS (with v2.2.2 sw ) and downloaded a NITROX dive ?

Comments would be appreciated.

DI_Guy

I have used my M1 for about 25 dives with air, then just recently got my nitrox cert done. Since then, I have switched back and forth between nitrox and air dives twice, and have had no trouble with the computer or interface.

Now, that said, I do have trouble with downloads if I connect to my desktop computer. I have no trouble downloading to my laptop . . . So, I switched my dive logging to my laptop. (Which is interesting, because my desktop has a serial port, but my laptop doesn't, so I have to use a USB adapter to connect the IRIS cable to the laptop, but it works fine . . .)

I can't tell you exactly what version I am currently using, but I do know it is version 2 something. (I'm currently on my desktop which no longer has the software installed, so can't check the version.)

Ken

Notso_Ken:
I have used my M1 for about 25 dives with air, then just recently got my nitrox cert done. Since then, I have switched back and forth between nitrox and air dives twice, and have had no trouble with the computer or interface.

Now, that said, I do have trouble with downloads if I connect to my desktop computer. I have no trouble downloading to my laptop . . . So, I switched my dive logging to my laptop. (Which is interesting, because my desktop has a serial port, but my laptop doesn't, so I have to use a USB adapter to connect the IRIS cable to the laptop, but it works fine . . .)

I can't tell you exactly what version I am currently using, but I do know it is version 2 something. (I'm currently on my desktop which no longer has the software installed, so can't check the version.)

Ken

Hi Ken:

I too have a PC and a Laptop but both have serial ports ( no need to use a serial/USB adaptor). Neither computer will download the Nitrox data via the Iris now. The laptop works well with other Mares M1-rgbm dive computers. From that test, I assume my Iris, serial cable, Iris software are OK. I talked to tech support at Mares and they are looking into it for me. It could still be my computer at fault. I am going to borrow another M1-rgbm, download the existing dive data ( non nitrox ) and then do a Nitrox dive with it and see if the download works after the dive. That test will be conclusive, I hope.

DI_Guy

shilohr6:
Hi just joined the forum trying to get the software to work but says a dll file is missing.
need complete verion but cant get onto site you used any advise.

thanks Rob

Hey Rob,

First off, welcome to Scubaboard - it's always great to see the "family" grow. You might want to drop by the introductions and greets to introduce yourself (lots of friendly folks that want to meet new members and welcome you aboard... just the usual heavy dose of good cheer, etc..)

You may have gotten a corrupt version of the software (or one of a myriad of other software problems IRIS seems to have for some folks) so downloading version 2.2.2 from http://www.mares.com/catalogo/scheda.asp?idPagina=67&lingua=eng is probably your best bet to start with. Make sure you download all 5 parts into the same folder, then double click on the .exe file - it will compile them all into one file, which you can then install the software from.) This thread is the most comprehensive on the board regarding the IRIS interface, so reading through it you can find solutions others have found to help with .dll troubles (there have been several ideas which helped folks) and if you find a solution share the good news with all of us!

Aloha, Tim

Hi Al

Sorry for not coming back sooner, did a dive yesterday so thought I'd try to read my dives in on version 2.2.2 on my WinXP SP2 machine. Alas, no, IRIS keeps saying there are problems with the com ports (1 and 2), and won't read a thing from my M1.
Am going to try my Win2K PC shortly.

Regards, Brian

DI_Guy:
Hi Ken:

I too have a PC and a Laptop but both have serial ports ( no need to use a serial/USB adaptor). Neither computer will download the Nitrox data via the Iris now. The laptop works well with other Mares M1-rgbm dive computers. From that test, I assume my Iris, serial cable, Iris software are OK. I talked to tech support at Mares and they are looking into it for me. It could still be my computer at fault. I am going to borrow another M1-rgbm, download the existing dive data ( non nitrox ) and then do a Nitrox dive with it and see if the download works after the dive. That test will be conclusive, I hope.

DI_Guy

I've owned the M1 (not RGBM) for about 2 years and have only been able to get my IRIS to work for a very short period of time. I have had it work with Nitrox. When I have problem it has always been with the COM ports. I'm not a computer genius so I had a friend look at it. He that the IRIS has IRQ conflicts with other software and does not know how to resolve them. He went in and manually changed things. That worked until I installed my next "new" software" and now it I can't get it to work again. I think I will go and buy a Serial to ISB converter and try that.

So here’s the deal, I dumped a hundred clams on this set up, but my laptop doesn’t have a 9 pin male serial port. I tried using a USB/9 Pin Serial Cable, but that wasn’t working for me. I don’t mean to review something that has already been posted on this thread, but can anybody confirm that this cable variation isn’t going to work?

I do have a 15 pin female serial port, is it possible to get my hands on a double male adapter/cable with 9 pin and 15 pin? Will this work for me???

Several folks have successfully used the Serial to USB converter - so there may be another issue - have you tried using another serial device with it? (try an old serial mouse) Sometimes the adapters have trouble with their drivers.

Aloha, Tim

...thanks Kidspot! The USB cable worked like a champ! I took a look at my setup and noticed that the Port Properties had me slated to use COM5. I guess after this exercise I know a little bit more about how ports and drivers work.

Update on my RUNTIME ERROR 6 "Overflow", problem...

1. Other M1-rgbm's will download to my PC ( air and nitrox )
2. My M1-rgbm will download to other PC's ( air and nitrox ) .
3. However my M1-rgbm will NOT download to MY PC.

I bought a serial to USB adaptor, did not fix it , still RUNTIME ERROR 6 "Overflow"

I tried slowing down the COM Port, had no effect.

I am perplexed now. (lol) Still working on it.

DI_Guy

My IRIS has just started to give the following error "Error accessing serial port. Try to reinstall the IRIS program." after the progress bar has reached the end of the data download.
I have tried reinstalling the software, but I still get the error message. The log book has 87 dives in it and I'm trying to add four more dives. I'm using version 2.2.2. Has anybody else had this problem and if so how was it fixed?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom