The All Inclusive SCUBA Tattoo Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mofosaurus:
...but it looks awful

why would you do that to yourself?

At least its not something written in japanese. Do you think there are kids in Japan with things like "rain" and "wind" tattooed in english on them?

This is myopic on many levels. Let's explore a couple.

Tattoo looks fine, because it's what he wanted, and it's probably unique.

You've obviously never been to Engrish.com, have you? The Japanese embolden EVERYTHING with incorrectly spelled English, much for the same reason Americans (and others) have incorrectly translated Kanji (one of the three writing systems in Japan, adopted and adapted from the Chinese) all over us. It looks cool. When you get the translation right, BONUS!

Finally, I have a tattoo that's about 3" x 3" on my right calf. It's the kanji abbreviation for "america", done in outline, with the American flag inside.

BlurAmerKanji1.gif

(Monochrome, without the big, black block. That...would look stupid.)

Now, another (the original) translation for this kanji is "rice". It's a great conversation starter, because many Japanese point, smile, and ask (in broken English) if I know I have rice on my leg. I smile, and reply, in colloquial Japanese, "Yes, but at least it's American rice." They think it's great that I've taken the time to learn their language, its colloquial forms, their writing system, and have chosen to adorn my body with it.

It took over three hours to do the tattoo. I started and finished Lord of the Flies on the table. Third tattoo. First two I fell asleep during. And you'll never understand until you get one.

When I was a kid the only people that had tattoos where "old" guys that just got back from WWII. I'm glad that they weren't in fashion when I was in Service or I would of probably ended up with one.

Two of my kids have little tattoos where you can't see them. I guess they don't want Dad yanking their chains too much. I'm just wondering what going to happen in the future in regards to tattoos. 10-15 years from now some 20 year old will look at your tattoo and say, " Wow, your where around when tattoos were in style. Did you have a cell phone too?" :biggrinpi

On my left hip I have 2 dolphins jumping out of fire and water in opposite directions. One has a black rose in its mouth. It was free hand by the tatoo artist and took 1/2 an hour from start to finish. It was great.

HamsterHuey:
And you'll never understand until you get one.

You are so right! I have 6 tats and have never felt I have to justify having them to anyone. #7 is in the design stage....

Spectre:
The difference between people with tattoos, and people without tattoos, is that those with ink don't care that you don't have ink.
I disagree...I'm not ink'd...and I don't ever care to be...

anyone else is free to do as they please...but I think stuff on the face looks awfully tacky.

Spectre:
The difference between people with tattoos, and people without tattoos, is that those with ink don't care that you don't have ink.

Oooh, good one spectre. Just for the record, I too, have been under the needle for a shark tattoo on my right shoulder. All black, and wasn't too bad until he was finished doing the outline and starting filling in the lines. Talk about arduous!

Addictive? Yes, I agree.

Big-t-2538:
I disagree...I'm not ink'd...and I don't ever care to be...

Yea... it's not all inclusive for the other side. But I doubt you'll find anyone with a tattoo that looks at your differently because you aren't inked. Whereas you definately find those of the virgin skin persuasion that seem to care about what I've done to myself.

Spectre:
Yea... it's not all inclusive for the other side.
For the record...I think some of them look Fantastic....especially some of the tribal ones that seem to fit in the right spots on the body. There is some nice work being done....I do however feel that things on the face, be it holes through the nose, eye-lids, lips, etc....or tattoos that come above the shirtline on the neck towards the chin, or orund the ear on the side of the face just look really tacky.

Big-t-2538:
I do however feel that things on the face, be it holes through the nose, eye-lids, lips, etc....or tattoos that come above the shirtline on the neck towards the chin, or orund the ear on the side of the face just look really tacky.

I agree, in some cases, it does look tacky but if done tastefully, it can
be quite attractive. For example, a tiny gold nose stud can sometimes be complimentary to the face. Some people can pull it off and some people just can't. I think it's all relative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom