The Aqualung Discussion [ Moved ]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw:
I keep reading posts that manufacturers will not offer warranties on products bought through unauthorized online retailers.

A. -a few posters seem to think that the manufacturers make money on selling to unauthorized dealers because they do not offer warranties.

I don't think this is true. I have NEVER had a product returned that was sent in for a problem or defect and told that since it was purchased from an unauthorized dealer then they can not honor the warranty. I have sent in stuff for people with or without serial numbers, blantantly told it was from Leisure Pro and warranties were honored.

I did this as a service for my customer and you know what, they came back to me for their next purchase. They got their product serviced, they found out I also match or beat LP prices AND I did not chastise them for buying online.

My philosophy is to take care of the customer first. If I am dealing with a supplier that does not believe that also then I take my business elsewhere.

That's a winners attitude!!!

The LDS I used here in Birmingham might still be in business if they had had your attitute.

Next time I'm in Arlington I'll come in and buy something from you just because. I lived in Arlington for 30 years and my wifes family is there so we're in town 2 or 3 times a year.

Debraw:
I keep reading posts that manufacturers will not offer warranties on products bought through unauthorized online retailers.

A. -a few posters seem to think that the manufacturers make money on selling to unauthorized dealers because they do not offer warranties.

I don't think this is true. I have NEVER had a product returned that was sent in for a problem or defect and told that since it was purchased from an unauthorized dealer then they can not honor the warranty. I have sent in stuff for people with or without serial numbers, blantantly told it was from Leisure Pro and warranties were honored.

I did this as a service for my customer and you know what, they came back to me for their next purchase. They got their product serviced, they found out I also match or beat LP prices AND I did not chastise them for buying online.

My philosophy is to take care of the customer first. If I am dealing with a supplier that does not believe that also then I take my business elsewhere.

What lines are we specifically talking about deb.
Some lines out there have seen the light and allow online sales so if you are referring to products from those manufacturers we are talking apples and oranges.
If you are talking AL and SP. That is not true. When I was moon lighting as a repair tech AL and SP products purchased from known gray marketeers did not have their warrantles honored. Not to say that a few didn't slip through the cracks.
Oh the repair were done but the customer was charged for the parts, labor and shipping, when required for issues that would have been free with an intact warranty.

Chewing customers out for buying online is completely uncalled for and I am not against buying online I am against buying from unauthorized dealers and I don't care if that is online or brick and mortar, becuase if you live close to some of these Gray marketeers you can go to their place of business and buy it in person.

And all these are side issues to the original purpose of the thread which is AL penalizing and revoking a dealership becuase the deal wen't below approved pricing to compete with the gray market. Basically AL puinished this guy for doing what he needed to do in the best interest of his business.

Debraw:

I'll be coming to your shop next week!

Debraw:

Debraw: if your philosophy prevailed this thread would have shut down many hundreds of posts ago.

jwdiverdude:
What lines are we specifically talking about deb.
Some lines out there have seen the light and allow online sales so if you are referring to products from those manufacturers we are talking apples and oranges.
If you are talking AL and SP. That is not true. When I was moon lighting as a repair tech AL and SP products purchased from known gray marketeers did not have their warrantles honored. Not to say that a few didn't slip through the cracks. <SNIP>

The posters who have often said that the manufacturers make money off of selling to LP because they don't have to honor the warranties have said it more than just about SP and AL. I am making a general observation since this thread has now become more about business practices rather than direct observations of AL. I have had warranties honored from the following:

Oceanic
Mares
Sea and Sea
Sealife
Bare
Genesis
Underwater Kinetics
Zeagle

Let me clarify... on the warranty issue, before I get a PM. I handle the issues as a sole owner of an LDS. My suppliers back me because they know me and how I handle things. If for some reason they are not honored by a supplier then I honor with a trade in on a new product from whatever line they choose that I distribute for. Now offering great trade-in values for working or nonworking Al and SP products!!! Line forms to the left.......

I love to accept things from people, give them a new one if I have it in stock and send theirs back and get a new whatever it is. My customers think I am the best thing since sliced bread and they GASP...come back!!!!! I am only posting all of this because I want other dive shops to see how easy it is to get AND retain a customer. I have read through threads where customers were chastised for purchasing online. I have a personal story of an LDS giving someone there money back for a class they had signed up for when they brought the regulator they had purchased from Ebay into the shop. I understand the position of a dive shop owner who works hard, genuinely wants to help a customer, puts up with all kinds of supplier problems and then in the end the customer buys from LP or Ebay or wherever. It's frustrating. There is a silver lining, there is lemonade, there is a way to make things way more positive in what seems to be a hopeless situation. In the end customers shop with their pocketbook, and so do dive shop owners. :blinking:

Don Janni:
<SNIP> Next time I'm in Arlington I'll come in and buy something from you just because. I lived in Arlington for 30 years and my wifes family is there so we're in town 2 or 3 times a year.

I appreciate that, we work hard and we have a great staff that loves to dive. Make sure you leave some time to dive our Texas Swamps!

mdb:
Debraw: if your philosophy prevailed this thread would have shut down many hundreds of posts ago.

To true, and isn't that a bit sad? I do however think the tide is shifting and that dive shops are learning that they must compete and the old school way of high prices and better than thou attitudes are changing in the industry. I know of several shops here in the metroplex that we are friendly with and share my philosophy. There are those who still believe the old school way and I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, and if you believe that way then "own it".

Debraw:
To true, and isn't that a bit sad? I do however think the tide is shifting and that dive shops are learning that they must compete and the old school way of high prices and better than thou attitudes are changing in the industry. I know of several shops here in the metroplex that we are friendly with and share my philosophy. There are those who still believe the old school way and I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, and if you believe that way then "own it".

You think the cust. has a time of it with "old school" shops, you should see how a "new school" rep. is thought of in an "old school" shop.....:wink:

Oh and I actually feel that more shops have adapted to new school faster than many reps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom