The assimilation begins... Resistance seems futile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Today were my 9th and 10th dives in my new 50/50 Sig drysuit. And as I was packing up, I looked at my divebag. My muthah-heavy dive bag. My wheels-are-broken-because-its-so-heavy divebag.

WEIGHT:
First of all - all that weight. I used to dive on 14 with my 7mm and HP steel 100. With the drysuit and my HP steel I'm now up to 20. With the boat AL80, I'm at 24 - and still corking it when I hit about 900#. I can't imagine going to 26...scary. Today, I just grabbed a rock for the last few minutes. Shelpping around 26 pounds of lead...wow.

MY BC:
I have the SeaQuest Black Diamond BC. I had the Balance for a few years, but got an amazing deal on a new Black Diamond from eBay so I jumped on it.

Its just too darn heavy. Its big, quite bulky, its got rings and clips all over it that I don't use. Its just too much BC - and franlky, too much of what I don't like in a BC...which is all that padding, fabric and bulk. Packing that thing is a monster. After today, its surely out the door. Fits well, comfy, etc. Just too much stuff. I'm a simple guy.

So I convince myself after today that I'm going back to a Balance.

Then it happens - I get home and I troll eBay (because that's what I do) and I was able to pick up a Halcyon SS BP for $77.

$77 - that's good, right?

So I'm thinking about all the stuff I've read over the last 3 months here (and being DIR curious) and I'm really liking placing some of that weight on the plate and the weighted single cylnder holder. It makes sense to have a good percentage of the weight under the cylinder in the BP.

Of course, a plate alone doesn't mean much - but it is clearly a sign that the assimilation has begun (actually it probably begun with putting the long hose on my reg, or maybe Scubaroo's spring straps on my Atomic Fins) Maybe, better: the assimilation continues... ??!! :D

Next is a harness, a wing, a single tank holder (I'm a single tank, recreational diver... for now) and then maybe a DIRF class.

Who knows, I may one day toss my Atomic fins....

Nawwwww.

This is about to get interesting...

K

Welcome Brother.....you are on your way to full membership. :)

Chad

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Then it happens - I get home and I troll eBay (because that's what I do) and I was able to pick up a Halcyon SS BP for $77.

So YOU'RE the one that outbid me! Next time stay diving longer!
Seriously, it was a pretty good deal. I wasnt going over $70 because I already have good SS BP. $77 is about a third of what it sells for new.

Well, if I was gonna get outbid, at least it goes to a good purpose; Assimilation!

Careful, or you'll be diving a steel 104 before you know it!

Maybe even a P-weight!

Your weightbelt might even be down to single digits by that point.

:D

'splain, Lucy.

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Today were my 9th and 10th dives in my new 50/50 Sig drysuit. And as I was packing up, I looked at my divebag. My muthah-heavy dive bag. My wheels-are-broken-because-its-so-heavy divebag.

WEIGHT:
First of all - all that weight. I used to dive on 14 with my 7mm and HP steel 100. With the drysuit and my HP steel I'm now up to 20. With the boat AL80, I'm at 24 - and still corking it when I hit about 900#. I can't imagine going to 26...scary. Today, I just grabbed a rock for the last few minutes. Shelpping around 26 pounds of lead...wow.

MY BC:
I have the SeaQuest Black Diamond BC. I had the Balance for a few years, but got an amazing deal on a new Black Diamond from eBay so I jumped on it.

Its just too darn heavy. Its big, quite bulky, its got rings and clips all over it that I don't use. Its just too much BC - and franlky, too much of what I don't like in a BC...which is all that padding, fabric and bulk. Packing that thing is a monster. After today, its surely out the door. Fits well, comfy, etc. Just too much stuff. I'm a simple guy.

So I convince myself after today that I'm going back to a Balance.

So I'm thinking about all the stuff I've read over the last 3 months here (and being DIR curious) and I'm really liking placing some of that weight on the plate and the weighted single cylander holder. It makes sense to have a good percentage of the weight under the cylander in the BP.

Of course, a plate alone doesn't mean much - but it is clearly a sign that the assimilation has begun (actually it was probably putting the long hose on my reg, or maybe Scubaroos spring straps on my Atomic Fins) Maybe, better: the assimilation continues... :D

Next is a harness, a wing, a single tank holder (I'm a single tank, recreational diver... for now) and then maybe a DIRF class.

Who knows, I may one day toss my Atomic fins....

Nawwwww.

This is about to get interesting...

K

Im a lot like you.I just switched over to a halcyon bp and wing.I dive a drysuit and use 21lbs on my belt plus the 6lb bp for salt water.I just talked to fredt and am placing a order for one of his heavy bp's(9lbs)
2 piece STA
a custom p-weight for the center channel that the 2 piece sta bolts to.
This should hopefully bring my belt down to a more comfy 8-10lbs.
I cant wait to try it out.Fred was great to deal with and very helpful as most people already know.

All of my equipment is also rigged dir and like it alot.Everything just seems to have its own out of the way spot.Im still working out my trim as i seem to be feet heavy still which i think is due to all the weight on my belt.Unfortunately i cant seem to drop any more weight or i cant hold a 15' safety stop with no air in my drysuit or wing.Hopefully moving that weight up will help out a lot and get my tank back down a little lower so i stop smacking my head on the valve :D

Now i just have to wait for a local dir fundamentals class in monterey.Anyways enjoy your bp and wing when you get it all done.I really like mine.:)

Cave Diver once bubbled...

So YOU'RE the one that outbid me! Next time stay diving longer!
Seriously, it was a pretty good deal. I wasnt going over $70 because I already have good SS BP. $77 is about a third of what it sells for new.

Well, if I was gonna get outbid, at least it goes to a good purpose; Assimilation!

Hmmmmmmm something tells me i should put my halcyon bp on ebay when my new fredt plate comes in :D

Mo2vation wrote...
'splain, Lucy.
Shirley you know I'm not Lucy!

A P-weight fits down inside the channel on the front of your backplate for single tank use. Depending on how it's made, it can accommodate the straps from an STA-less Halcyon wing, or the bolts from an STA (though I haven't seen one of the latter).

In my case, it was a good way to get ~7lbs off my hips and next to my center of buoyancy (between the lungs and wing).

Metridium calls it a P-weight... I call it a channel weight.

He wanted the first one I made bad enough to come all the way out here to the PNW to get it... but I missed it so bad I poured another one...

Complete with grooves for the cam bands since I use the built in
sta.

STA - Single Tank Adapter (?)

I saw this on their site tonight - or a version of it. Makes sense.

Seems to me if I'm schlepping weight around, it better do something else than sit in my BC... I mean, 6# for the plate, another few for the STA and weight system. It all adds up. So If I gotta schlep around an aggregate 20 - 24# may as well have it do double duty.

I'm pretty excited.

So much to know... man.

k

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom