The assimilation begins... Resistance seems futile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If its about 6#, seems like I can get trimmed and weighted properly with my HP100 steel, then install/uninstall the channel weight if I'm on a cattle boat using one of their Al80's.

Is this the purpose?

K

MechDiver once bubbled...
Even though it's somewhat more expensive, I would suggest you get the Halcyon harness kit. It has everything you need (except a right hip D ring) and makes for lots less hassle. I can't remember if the kit includes the crotch strap, but they have those ready made also.

I went the "pick and gather" route for my second bp and wish I'd just gotten the kit.

Good luck, you'll have fun.

MD

I understand what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree.

I was very appreciative that I went the "pick-and-gather" route (as you say) for my first plate (which was a FredT heavy stainless). This gave me a much better comfort level with the equipment components and adjustments while I was in "learning" mode.

However, on my second plate (Halcyon AL), I went with the full harness kit which worked great while I was in "expediency" mode.

wb

Mo2vation once bubbled...
If its about 6#, seems like I can get trimmed and weighted properly with my HP100 steel, then install/uninstall the channel weight if I'm on a cattle boat using one of their Al80's.

Is this the purpose?

K
When I dive my double AL80s I use a 5# soft v-weight (the one I mentioned earlier). I use it strictly to counter the positive swing of the tanks. With my double steels, I don't use it.

cwb once bubbled...

I understand what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree.

I was very appreciative that I went the "pick-and-gather" route (as you say) for my first plate (which was a FredT heavy stainless). This gave me a much better comfort level with the equipment components and adjustments while I was in "learning" mode.

However, on my second plate (Halcyon AL), I went with the full harness kit which worked great while I was in "expediency" mode.

wb

Not a problem to disagree. I feel its simpler if you don't know a "system", to start off with something preconfigured, use it, then figure out what you want to change :D. I ended up changing a couple items on the Halycon harness after I started using it for doubles. I then incorporated those changes in my second setup that I DIY, mainly because I had a whole roll of webbing for free!

I really like the webbing Halcyon used much better, and that also was one of the reasons I suggested going that route.

As long as you get there, I guess it doesn't matter whether you take the high road or the low road :wink:

MD

I just saw the title of this thread and it went from there. I was bored one night so that might explain it a little.

I'm sure I'll catch some flak for this, but I thought it was just too funny.

For those of you Photoshop masters out there, I'm sure you can make it look much better.

:wink:

Remember guys....life is too short to be serious all the time. :eek:ut:

I don't think you will catch any flack on that. As long as things are said in a good natured way then the DIR folks are pretty good natured.

Despite popular believe you don't have to check your since of humor at the door to be aspire toward DIR. :)

I liked it.

Chad

Cool pic, now its the background on my 'puter...

So I'm far from my So Cal Marina Del Rey home (near the Pac, where its about 74 degrees and clear) spending the week in Norcross GA (nice, but chilly, landlocked and NOT So Cal). GUE send the Fundamentals book to the hotel for me.

I'm pouring over it. Nice. Informative - good stuff. But I've not found anything in it to be inflammatory. People are too high strung if they're getting warm over this book.

Maybe its the overzealous practionors that are stirring things up. Passion brings out the best and the worst in people.

I'm enjoying it so far. Love the hand signals/communication section, as well as the being a better buddy stuff. Its a good read.

QUESTIONS:

Why is the light on the right hand sometimes, and sometimes on the left hand?

Do any of you dive a 5' hose with a single? I'll never have a canister light...makes sense that as I'll be in OW, maybe I won't go the full 7'

What's a breakaway connecter? Never seen one.

Next stop my wings, harness and STA.

Still fired up.

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...

QUESTIONS:

Why is the light on the right hand sometimes, and sometimes on the left hand?

Do any of you dive a 5' hose with a single? I'll never have a canister light...makes sense that as I'll be in OW, maybe I won't go the full 7'

What's a breakaway connecter? Never seen one.

Light cannister is worn on the right waist belt. Preferred to have light head in right hand which prevents the cord from draping across your body and inhibiting access to your hoses, etc. There may be some instances where you need your right hand, and the light will be switched to the left temporarily.

I dive the 7' hose with my single tanks. In lieu of a light cannister, you can use a knife sheath or some sort of pocket to secure the hose. Tucking it into the waist strap also works, but not near as effective IMO.

A breakaway connector is an o-ring or something similar that will "snap" when enough stress is placed on it. Use it on essential items that have a secondary method of securing it.

Ex. Use an o-ring to connect the bolt snap to an SPG. If your spg hangs on something, the o-ring will break rather than causing you to get hung. However since your SPG is attached to a HP hose, you cant "lose" it in the event that your o-ring breaks.

By contrast, your backup light bolt snaps should be secured by cave line instead. Much sturdier than an o-ring, and not likely to get broken accidently. They are however, still cutable in the event of an emergency.

Sorry, the light head is worn on your left hand because if you have to donate a reg in an OOG situation, it won't blind the receiver. Certainly you can temporarily switch it if needed.

Part of the pre-dive "ritual" is doing an S-drill which will show if you have hoses/cords crossed.

Cave Diver once bubbled...

Light cannister is worn on the right waist belt. Preferred to have light head in right hand which prevents the cord from draping across your body and inhibiting access to your hoses, etc. There may be some instances where you need your right hand, and the light will be switched to the left temporarily.

I dive the 7' hose with my single tanks. In lieu of a light cannister, you can use a knife sheath or some sort of pocket to secure the hose. Tucking it into the waist strap also works, but not near as effective IMO.

A breakaway connector is an o-ring or something similar that will "snap" when enough stress is placed on it. Use it on essential items that have a secondary method of securing it.

Ex. Use an o-ring to connect the bolt snap to an SPG. If your spg hangs on something, the o-ring will break rather than causing you to get hung. However since your SPG is attached to a HP hose, you cant "lose" it in the event that your o-ring breaks.

By contrast, your backup light bolt snaps should be secured by cave line instead. Much sturdier than an o-ring, and not likely to get broken accidently. They are however, still cutable in the event of an emergency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom