The assimilation begins... Resistance seems futile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I understand it, someone help me out if I’m wrong here, if you are perfectly weighted, and diving wet, your BC lift should be able to compensate for:
The swing weight of your tank(s), full versus empty.
The swing weight of you wet suit, surface (not compressed) versus compressed.
The negative buoyancy of a pony if you carry one.

Since you want to be neutrally buoyant at depth with a near empty tank after handing off the pony, you start negatively buoyant by an amount equal to the sing weight of the tank and wetsuit as well as the negative buoyancy of the pony. You need to have enough lift to compensate for that weight at depth (max wet suit compression) with a full tank and the pony still attached.

To be safe I would add some amount of margin to account for being over weighted.

The worst case is the largest capacity tank and the thickest wetsuit. For me that was a HP120, hooded semi-dry 7-8-6 wetsuit, and 30 cf pony. When I added it up 11, 8, and 5 respectively for 24#, I thought a 27# did not leave much room for margin so I went with the 36#.

MikeS once bubbled...
As I understand it, someone help me out if I’m wrong here, if you are perfectly weighted, and diving wet, your BC lift should be able to compensate for:
The swing weight of your tank(s), full versus empty.
The swing weight of you wet suit, surface (not compressed) versus compressed.
The negative buoyancy of a pony if you carry one.

Since you want to be neutrally buoyant at depth with a near empty tank after handing off the pony, you start negatively buoyant by an amount equal to the sing weight of the tank and wetsuit as well as the negative buoyancy of the pony. You need to have enough lift to compensate for that weight at depth (max wet suit compression) with a full tank and the pony still attached.

To be safe I would add some amount of margin to account for being over weighted.

The worst case is the largest capacity tank and the thickest wetsuit. For me that was a HP120, hooded semi-dry 7-8-6 wetsuit, and 30 cf pony. When I added it up 11, 8, and 5 respectively for 24#, I thought a 27# did not leave much room for margin so I went with the 36#.

You also have to support, or be able to lift whatever lead or other weight you carry. I didn't see that listed.

MD

MechDiver once bubbled...

You also have to support, or be able to lift whatever lead or other weight you carry. I didn't see that listed.

MD

Assuming you are properly weighted, the weight you are carrying, in the form of weights is immaterial to how much lift you need. The issue is not weight, rather it is buoyancy. You need enough lift from your bladder to become neutral under the worst case scenario.

When properly weighted, neutral at the surface with a near empty tank, without the detachable pony, the only thing lift from your bladder is needed for is to compensate for anything that reduces your buoyancy. Those things are; the weight of air in your tank, the reduction in buoyancy of your wetsuit due to compression and the negative buoyancy of the pony.

MikeS once bubbled...

When properly weighted, neutral at the surface with a near empty tank, without the detachable pony, the only thing lift from your bladder is needed for is to compensate for anything that reduces your buoyancy. Those things are; the weight of air in your tank, the reduction in buoyancy of your wetsuit due to compression and the negative buoyancy of the pony.

I agree with your first statement, but not this one as it is not worse case. Your wing has to be able to support you on the suface with EVERYTHING you have on when you START the dive, minus what is buoyant. Granted, worse case for wet divers would then be to descend to depth where the wetsuit will compress. Not an issue with drysuits. Figuring this at the end of the dive is incorrect.

MD

Mo2vation once bubbled...

Next is a harness, a wing, a single tank holder (I'm a single tank, recreational diver... for now) and then maybe a DIRF class.

Who knows, I may one day toss my Atomic fins....

Nawwwww.

This is about to get interesting...

I feel your anguish...

I ordered a long hose today. I finally thought through where/how I'm going to route it without a canister light.

And also a set of Jets and springs straps to supplement my Zooms. They say the splits are banished from the class.

And I've been sending PMs to the people that even hint at interest in a DIR-F class that are reasonably close geographically to generate enough interest to insure that the one being planned locally has enough attendees not to get cancelled.

I'll have to just wait for the BP/wings.

Unless! Hmmmm...maybe I can find an unwitting new diver that wants to buy my BC.

Would that be unethical? To sell it for as much as I can get out of it before I told him about the "alternate" gear confiurations available?

Metridium calls it a P-weight
Uncle Pug calls it a channel weight
We call it a V-weight.

A weight that goes between the plate and double tanks is usually called a v-weight while a weight that goes in the channel of the plate (often used with a single tank rig) is a channel or p-weight (polish v-weight).

raybo once bubbled...

Unless! Hmmmm...maybe I can find an unwitting new diver that wants to buy my BC.

Would that be unethical? To sell it for as much as I can get out of it before I told him about the "alternate" gear confiurations available?

Then you would have to set up shop and call yourself a "typical LDS":eek:ut:

MikeFerrara wrote...
A weight that goes between the plate and double tanks is usually called a v-weight while a weight that goes in the channel of the plate (often used with a single tank rig) is a channel or p-weight (polish v-weight).
I always wondered why it was called a P-weight.

:D

lal7176 once bubbled...
Just out of curiosity pug how did you do the slots for the cam straps.Did you mold it that way or cut out the slots after you molded it.By the way nice work.It looks great!!
I stripped the harness off my plate (again!) and used it for a mold. The channels for the cam bands where made by placing aluminum inserts through the cam band slots and then damming with plumbers putty. The ends of the channel were blocked off and holes plugged with plumbers putty.

If I were to do this again I think I would go ahead and make a mold out of steel so I could warm it up before the pour. I just may do it.... using the backplate is a real chore as is cleaning it up afterwards.

So... Metridium... you about ready to make another trip out here :wink:

Back
Top Bottom