The Balanced Rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all for your thoughtful replies. The DIR answer was what I was looking for. I guess I was asking "hoping against hope" :)

Thanks DA for all your weight calculations. It is obvious that I missed a bunch of weights and considerations in my own calculations. I had based my numbers off of weighting notes in my logbook, unfortunately forgetting things in the process. A good reminder for me to make sure I go all the way back to "basics" when doing these calculations/estimates.

In my 3 mil alone diving salt water with a single AL80 on a steel plate I use 7 lbs of lead - 4 in trim pockets and 3 on the belt. In NC I will be adding a 3 mil hooded vest - adding maybe a pound or so of buoyancy. Going from single to doubles I add a second regulator (-3 lbs), bands and manifold (-4 lbs).
<edit> missed something ... again ... really need to sit down and do the #s.

The -7 lbs in 2nd reg/bands/manifold would make up for the 7 I wear with a single. But then I would need to account for the ~4 lbs of positive buoyancy of an additional empty AL80. Meaning I would need 4 lbs of weight.

I figured I would leave reel and other non-secure items out of the "ballast" calculation since they could be lost during the dive and possibly leaving me light at the end of the dive.

I have no experience diving with a stage/deco bottle and wanted to keep new skills out of the picture. So I had considered bringing a single HP100 and trans-filling to the doubles between dives.

I dove a couple of days in NC last year using single HP120 tanks. The outer banks wrecks we dove were in the 100' - 110' range. On those dives I used at most 80 cu. ft. total with a nice slow minimum deco ascent and long 10' stop. I had also planned to leave the bottom with no less than 40 cu.ft. in the tank.

Using those numbers and figuring 154 cu.ft. in AL80 doubles I figured I would use 80 cu.ft. on the first dive. A trans-fill from a full HP100 would add ~650 PSI to the ~1400 PSI I would have left after using 80 cu.ft. So I would start the second dive with about 105-110 cu.ft. in the doubles - a tad shy of the 120 cu.ft. I would like but in reality probably enough.

As for temps; in September I noted bottom temps in the upper 70's on the outer banks dives. The one dive we had on the Indra was - as DA mentioned - considerably colder. I was shivering and thumbed the dive after 50 minutes.

Thanks again everyone,

Henrik

Last edited:
In my 3 mil alone diving salt water with a single AL80 on a steel plate I use 7 lbs of lead

I started with 4lbs in that same config and on the last dive I've gave them to a fellow diver who couldn't handle the safety stop. I ended up just fine w/o any weights.

Heavy steel doubles and wetsuit, SMB as bouyancy redundance source, dual bladders wing, ... we have strange things these days in this forum :) I think we miss CCR, full-face mask, split fins, jon-line ... feel free to add whatever you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom