The Benefits you get from DIVING??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishkiller

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa Arizona, The all beach no ocean state.
# of dives
100 - 199
The opening question seems simple enough, but I now more than ever am likely suffering from underwater withdrawl, have to be reminded of the benefits that this sport / hobby has to offer? What positive things have you found from being a scuba diver?? What obstacles have you had to overcome and the rewards for doing so?

because my instructor drilled buddie checks into my head I do them with the kids on my sons Hocky team. this weekend I found a kid missing a helmet screw and poorly adjusted helmet. we replaced the screw and adjusted the fit. well in that game he was triped and went headfirst into the boards. he is suffering from a brused vertabrae but it could have been alot worse. :booboo:

I like the solitude-like effect and quiteness. No cell phones, beepers, TV noise, etc. I like getting with the guys and having a good time away from home.

Mike

Well each type of dive has its own special benefit....

1. Some dives yield edibles....
2. Some dives yield fellowship....
3. Some dives yield adventure....
4. Some dives yield beautiful sights....
5. Some dives yield discovery....
6. Some dives yield accomplishment....
7. Some dives yield relaxation....
8. A few dives yield all the above....

In addition to Uncle Pug's eloquent, yet succinct list, scuba diving gives me another outlet for being a do-it-yourselfer. When I can't dive, I can tinker. I've learned to build reg repair and test equipment, how to build my own power heads for a dollar, and I carved a relief of a Whitetip shark on my speargun (while watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer).

I find diving to be almost essential to my well being. It (sounds goofy) feeds both body and soul. Diving is a very relaxing sport and can completely lift my spirits after a stressful day or week. It can be the spark of excitiment when life gets ho-hum. Since I dive in cold water....need I say what packing around tons of gear does for you.

I enjoy activities that force you to clear you mind and think only about the task at hand. Diving is the answer for me. I can be all stressed and in a bad mood prior to diving and relaxed and happy when I am through.

As a DM I also get that sense of accomplishment. I love assisting with classes and showing new divers the wonderful underwater universe that most people will never see.

Who could ask for anything more!

i like the feeling of being able to get away from the real world that diving gives us..the quietness and beauty that topside cant offer to anyone..to be one with the creatures of the ocean is absolutly great..and nothing can compare..

I get ...
What the earlier posters have said, and I also get, in addition to meeting folks from all over the world, a unique combination of serenity and excitement. It's hard to explain- but I think you know what I mean.
Great question,
MikeD

Ditto Uncle Pug!

I find that a relatively deep dive will relieve chronic arthritic pains, and that the relief will last for several hours after the dive. I suspect it has something to do with nitrogen, but really don't care - it could even be psychosomatic - it's just one more reason it makes sense to get wet often.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom