The Benefits you get from DIVING??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Roger,

There is no clear answer to the question "are we having fun yet". It will happen, sooner or later.

What I get out of diving? There is a saying in Europe: Diving makes you poor, ugly and stupid. It is expensive, you get waterlogged, and the nitrogen effects at certain depths...well...:D

I would not give it up for anything. As soon I descend, it is pure peace. Everything else is left at the surface.

Diving as been a real lifesaver for me. I have a high stress job and am on call most of the time, whether I'm working or not. Diving gives me that sense of peace and quiet. No one can talk to me, bother me interfere with my thoughts. I enjoy diving with others, but if it comes down to diving solo or not diving at all, then I'm going solo. This past summer I performed 26 solo dives and they were the most peaceful and content moments of my
entire summer.

.............. Arduous ................

I'm not a doc, but I would question the pressure theory because our bodies are mostly water and water doesn't compress, only the air cavities. Something else must be at work.

Originally posted by AllenG
Rick - FYI. A former dive buddy with arthritis also reported relief following dives. The effect seemed to be more than just that associated with exercise. My conjecture was that the pressure was the operative force. Perhaps our venerable diving docs could opine?

Picture this.....it is a cool night....the sky is clear except for the twinkling of stars. You and two of your buddies gear up to go chasing the wiley king crab. As you drift out towards the ledge, the waters are mirror calm, cold, and clear. Laying on the surface floating, when all of a sudden these bright red streaks start shooting through the sky....suddenly, the entire sky lights up with the brightest red northern lights imaginable. We blew ourselves up like three Michelin tire men (well two men one woman)!! Intersperced amoung the bright red lights, were long streaks of purples and greens. It was like being in a cathedral with a red glass curved dome and looking up. You could see the stars twinkling through. Finally, we decide to decend to the depths. At 35 feet, I rolled over and could still see the northern lights display up through the waters. Rolling back over, we filled our limit with big king crab, and surfaced.....Still more northern lights....three blown up drysuits and more floating watching the lights!

What do I get out of diving, if that doesn't explain it.....well, it is my drug of choice. Once I drop below about 8 feet, I cannot even recall a surface life. All the stress of work, home, finances, etc. is instantly gone, and cannot be recollected, even if I wanted to. Don't need no stinkin valium with this as a stress reliever!! :)

ages

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom