The best way to Go Pro ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivePureBliss

Registered
Reaction score
I have a Go Pro Hero 3+ which I will be taking on my next dive. Any suggestions for how to mount or carry the go pro during the dive if I do not want to use a tray? What is more comfortable, practical, secure, or safe?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, Thanks!

I keep mine mounted on the back of my hand.

The best way to produce video that isn't complete nauseating to watch is to put it on a tray and hold with both hands while filming. Otherwise, since it is such a small camera you move around too easily. If you aren't forcing your loved ones to watch the video (speaking strictly from experience) then you can mount that camera anywhere, but if you are wanting to produce stuff for others to watch then maybe a short pole/handle that you can clip to your BC when needed. (wrist lanyards tend to get lost at sea...) Just don't pan too quickly and keep it as still as possible.

I tend to film by holding my opposit wrist with my go pro hand and it works out fairly steady.

I went with this pole and light mount and it does pretty well. I do find that it gets heavy and I will try putting some pipe insulation around the camera end to get it more neutral.

Yeah the pole with light can get a little heavy.. That is why I often put my hand around the mount itself to help with the weight and also steady my shot.
Some have sent me pictures of using it this way.
images
images
images

Best Regards
Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

Last edited:
I went with this pole and light mount and it does pretty well. I do find that it gets heavy and I will try putting some pipe insulation around the camera end to get it more neutral.

That's what I like to use as well. A UK Pro pole with Z Gear universal light mount. The "Professional" light mount is just for the Sola lights. With the pole you can get good stability if you put one hand on the light mount, you can get close to marine life without spooking them and you can do selfies. I also have a tray but prefer the pole.

That's what I like to use as well.

Me too. The pole gives you the advantage of getting that 1/2 ft closer to the subject, which with a go pro I think is really important. Get a good red filter, like those by snake river photography and you are good to go. This is at 45ft in really murky water (after adjustment too):

Below 70ft you may want to add a light to the pole for close subjects (like 1 or 2 ft, further away it makes no difference). If you do get a light the inexpensive but good quality mount by Z-gear works really well. Attaching a light to a pole may seem heavy on the ground but underwater I could not feel the difference.

Back
Top Bottom