The best way to Go Pro ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I mount mine on the front of my scooter. I like to use one of the video settings that also takes stills, or just a still every few seconds unless I'm doing something excellent.

I've tried a lot of different methods. If you are not doing some other activity during your dive, then it is hard for me to see why using a tray mount would be a problem. A tray does not have to be big or bulky or heavy - especailly if you are not using lights. It is really nice to be able to set the tray down on the bottom and allow it to shoot video with 100% stability.

A tray is the most stable platform. Mounting the camera on a rod or stick or extension pole will give you some stability and allows you to stick the camera in the fish's face, which they tend to allow much more than a very close approach by the diver. This is a big advantage, if your subjects are fish or turtles or sharks or eels or even lobsters.

I tried mounting it on a glove type arrangement and was quickly turned off by my inability to get stable video. My hand just moved around too much, you would think it would be easy, but it didn;t work for me, maybe if I practiced more.

Other options are the head mount, which I prefer since I usually have my hands full doing other activities underwater. Head mount is somewhat unstable, but with practice you can learn to get decent clips, but if you are nervous and glancing around - the video will be unusable. I use a head strap with a chin strap and it doesn't get in the way too much and is secure and the bubbles are not too distracting when in most positions. I've also used a mask that has an integrated Go pro mount at the bridge of the mask. This is a very good option as well.

My advice is to first use a small tray or pole to start out and see how it goes. You will be holding the tray or pole with two hands for stability and should be able to clip it off to your BC, should you need to use two hands to do something important.

This is my most recent Go Pro video from last week, shot 100% with a head mount, except for a tiny portion of the beginning where I hand held the camera on land.

Also, a little trick.. when you have unstable video, when making a movie, you can often play it in slow motion and get a cool effect and it negates some of the excessive motion. Also with a head mount, you may just need to accept that most clips will be 6-10 seconds max and you may need to cut out the shaky part and piece together the more stable portions...and still tell a story.

Back
Top Bottom