The Big Island, Maui and Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jo_j_k

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have seen some posts recommending diving operations on these islands already, but I am looking for something specific so I'm sorry if its seems like I'm reapeating.

I'm a fairly novice diver. I got my PADI cert back in 2001 and then went on two, two-tank dives in Hawaii (on Oahu and Kauai). We (a friend and I) had a good time. My first dive was at the Mahi Shipwreck - 100ft first time out. Wow. The company we went with was Ocean Concepts and they were nice. I was fairly comfortable with them and they took a little extra care of us because it was our first real dive.

On Kauai we went with Fathom Five divers and while I liked them (they told some great stories) they were a little standoffish. Since I was with a friend (who went through training with me) it wasn't a problem. The dives themselves were great.

This summer though, I'll be the only diver in my group and while I will take a quick refresher before I head out there, I'm going to be a bit nervous. I'll be on the Big Island, Maui and Kauai and I'd like to find companies that will watch out for me and offer a little extra TLC.

I have found a couple of companies - if anyone has any specific comments about them I'd appreciate that as well as recommendations on any others.

Big Island: Dive Makai Charters
Maui: Mike Severns Scuba or Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures
Kauai: Bubbles Below

Thanks for reading and any recommendations. I'll continue searching the forums and see what I can come up with as well.

Thanks,

Joann

On Maui, you might check into Lahaina Divers. They are a good operator for someone who might want a little more support. They run bigger boats, but put a DM in the water for every 6 six divers. They also do a lot of training, so have quite a few newly certified divers or divers getting certified on their boats.

Ed Robinson's is excellent, but they say they cater to more experienced divers. Mike Severns is always a good choice too.

Or you could just hire a DM for your dive buddy.

jo_j_k:
I'm a fairly novice diver.

I'll be the only diver in my group and while I will take a quick refresher before I head out there, I'm going to be a bit nervous..... I'd like to find companies that will watch out for me and offer a little extra TLC.

Maui: Mike Severns Scuba or Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures
Both are good dive ops and they do split their 12 divers into two groups based upon experience level, but other operators might be a better fit for you.

Lahaina Divers (out of Lahaina, naturally) and Maui Dive Shop out of Kihei and Maalea normally have a large percentage of occasional or new divers onboard. Like a lot of large corporations, though, your experience may vary widely from crew to crew.

My recommendation is B&B Scuba. It's an owner/operator dive op in Kihei that puts multiple DMs into the water.

This morning's boat had 3 DMs and a couple of instructors, for only about 8 passengers (including me and FairbanksDiver). Normally it's 2 DMs for up to 12 px. They are used to a wide variety of skill levels, including new divers.

---------------------------

You can also hire a shore dive guide, such as ShakaDiver (who hangs out on Scubaboard), for personalized service and refresher.

---------------------

Whoever you go with, it's important that you be open and forthright with the DMs about your skill level, experience, and concerns.

Charlie

I have sent several new divers off with B&B. Never a single complaint.

Yup - I agree with Charlie and Al - B&B is a nice outfit that works with a wide variety of divers... Of course they both have tons more experience than I do, so I figure I'm in safe company on this :wink:

Have fun on your trip

Aloha, Tim

P.S. ShakaDoug is having computer trouble, so he has not been around for a bit (hope that changes soon though) but you can check out his webiste at http://www.shakadivers.com -

Also, for the shore dives/refresher, you might want to check out Maui Dreams Dive Co. -- they're in Kihei and a great group of people. Very accomodating, and they dive because they love to, not because of the money!

jo_j_k:
Money may not be tight but it's not that good! :10:

Joann
That's almost like paying for sex isn't it :wink:

Back
Top Bottom