The Blue Corner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greg11

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Palau itself is your typical pacific island I guess with some very under developed area's, a couple nice hotels and plenty of shady area's. I really hope that someday Sams tours could buy the property next door so they could build a small hotel. Right now it's owned by sunkist tuna people who bring in their crappy huge fishing boats. While I am at it, I should give props to Sams Tours, nice people, nice bar, good food, showers, etc. My only complaint is during your week you never have the same dive master. I really really wish they would keep the same dive master with the same group all week. They make an attempt to keep the same people togetjer all week which is nice but you have what seems to be a rotating boat and divemaster staff daily which makes creating a bond and trust between the entire group impossible. It's so nice after what day 3 the divemaster says do what you want, or lets try something different. Each day felt like it was day one and we always had new people on the boat so we seemed limited as to what sites we could visit.

So onto the diving. day one. Blue holes and then blue corner. Welcome to palau with a bang! Blue hole was unbelievable with all the bubbles, I got a little creepy inside and looked for the first exit, then I was presented with every coral I could dream of, its was great. Oh I forgot, this was my first roll back off the boat dive, I was first off the boat and rolled back without any issues, looked around and there was a 4 foot reef shark. We always saw sharks on almost every dive, they leave the divers alone. Next dive was blue corner. I dove it twice on my visit, and will describe both here. The rest of the dives were wall dives which were just out of this world. German channel was yucky. Didnt like it, Vis bad.

So blue corner. One time current was reef to the right, and one time current reef to the left. I really dont think I knew what was going on the first time. we were going a long the wall and all of a sudden the dive master points and we all head up the wall and ontop of the reef and hook in with our reef hooks. Pretty easy, niger triggers ever where, huge schools of big fish, anemone fish and anemone's all around the hook in area. Lots of sharks, big parrots, you name it.

I enjoyed the other dives, big drop off was a superb wall dive, but to be honest. I would love to just have a boat that would do blue corner and blue holes every dive. I would pay extra, or at least have a sign up sheet so you can be put on the boat going to blue corner would be nice.

2nd time. I was ready for the jump over the wall to the hook in spot. Now this was a great dive, Everywhere was huge fish, huge nepolean wrasses, just amazing.

I should recommend that everyone going to diving in this region to buy a safety sausage. I always thought they were stupid but let me tell you, if you get separated and get caught in a current you are screwed. It happened to me, I was hanging on a wreck, let go to move while waiting for my group, I let go and was tossed into a spiral roller coaster ride. It was crazy. I hooked up with the 2nd group on our boat thank god. If I would have not found them I would have been **** out of luck without any safety stuff. I also just about ran out of air one dive, I stayed close to this girl on our boat at the safety stop just in case. I'm always the last on the boat, I like to hang out so I am used to pushing my tank. Palau is strange. One dive you can come up with 1500 PSI and others 200 PSI, that's never happened to me. I don't suck air.

Greg,
Having safety equipment is never stupid, the life you save could be your own. Learning how to shoot a SMB at depth is also a skill one needs to learn. You should always dive with an SMB, mirror and surface noise maker as a minimum.

I also agree on the SMB as essential equipment in Palau (got back from there yesterday). Also, those who are planning to dive there who are not comfortable swimming into current should let the guide know before the dive. On probably half of my dives there we swam directly into the current, which is not commonplace as far as the destinations I'd been to before. Yes, once in awhile a little bit, but in Palau - you are fighting strong current often. Swimming into current with bad visibility, which we had due to the weather unfortunately, a SMB is very important.

Palau is an amazing place and one could spend weeks or months exploring all it has to offer, both above and below the surface.

On probably half of my dives there we swam directly into the current, which is not commonplace as far as the destinations I'd been to before.
Shouldn't be commonplace for drift diving in Palau either.

I also agree on the SMB as essential equipment in Palau
...and pretty much any other dive in the ocean.

Also, those who are planning to dive there who are not comfortable swimming into current should let the guide know before the dive. On probably half of my dives there we swam directly into the current, which is not commonplace as far as the destinations I'd been to before. Yes, once in awhile a little bit, but in Palau - you are fighting strong current often.
I agree with Mossman on this--generally, you shouldn't have to fight the current if the dives are properly planned. Especially strong currents.

Swimming into current with bad visibility, which we had due to the weather unfortunately, a SMB is very important
...or drifting with current, or in good visibility, or when diving off a boat that moves, etc. If you're not in a quarry, bring an smb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom