The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where are the reports from the weekend?? I need my fix of the chronic(le) :blinking:

Sorry, I was testing out a different camera and I'm having trouble getting the pics from here to there. I'm working on it right now.

I knew that if I procrastinated long enough someone else would do the trip report.

The summary version from Saturday AM to hold Brian over until the full report: Castor + Table Tops, 72*, 2-3' seas, vis +/- 40', and one diver
04.gif
with a limit of nice bugs.

Okay! Sorry to be tardy... Here's what I can recall from the weekend. I do believe that Saturday was very nice. Seas were something like 3 feet. Like I said, I was testing out a cool little camera, a Nikon Coolpix P6000 in a FIX housing. It's definitely a cool setup, but different than what I am used to so it has been a learning experience for me. We did the Castor and Tabletops, and unfortunately, I forgot to charge the strobe batteries and it died on the second dive.

Visibility was not so hot... maybe 50' on the wreck and 30' on the reef. Blue water with alot of snowy particles suspended in it. The current was moving along pretty good on the first dive, on the strong side of moderate to strong. Water temps were 72 by my machine, but it felt kinda warm, and there were reports of 73 as well. There were lobsters here and there on the reef.

DSCN0376a.jpg

This was taken on the second dive, with no strobe. I was surprised at how well the camera did without it.

Sunday started out pretty nice too, with seas in the 2 foot range, but by the time we were headed back in, it was getting a little snotty. Speaking of snotty, the vis was still kinda messed up, about 30 feet or so. We did a spot called The Playground, which is an artificial reef made up of a bunch of concrete culverts in about 85 feet. It's pretty cool, but small. Luckily, the current had relented quite a bit during the night, and I was able to stay on them for a while, and even kick over to another little visited site... The Swordfish. The Swordfish is a small wreck that has broken into two pieces. It is a Deadliest Catchesque fishing boat, I think 70 feet long. The back end of it sits out about 100 yards south of the bow of the Budwieser. The front end sits right up against the starboard side of the Budweiser, many of you I'm sure, have seen this half of it. Anyway, I went out and had a nice visit with the back half of the Swordfish, then drifted north to the Bud to deliver a message to the front half, and then went up.

DSCN0422.jpg

One of the culverts. It's a crappy picture, but at least you can see what I'm talking about. I could have picked a more interesting section too, but I was just trying to set up the strobe.

DSCN0496.jpg

The back end of the Swordfish. The snotty water made it really hard to get any wide angle pictures.

The second dive was at a more more familiar location, Black Condo. I left the wide angle adapter on the boat and decided to focus more on small stuff, which I don't have much practice at. This camera was much better than any of the cameras (or in the case of the Friends of Scubakev and Reef Photo & Video Memorial Camera the lenses) I am used to. Normally, I have to get right up into a fish's face, like four or six inches away, which as you might imagine is difficult with living subjects. The Coolpix allowed me to stay back a couple of feet, and the strobe seemed to like this didtance as well. I think I'll keep on this tack for the next couple of test runs and get a bit more practice.

DSCN0550.jpg

DSCN0544.jpg

Okay! No pics from today, unless Briney Liney posts hers, I'm having trouble getting my ones out of the camera... the card keeps making my comuter freeze.

Here's the info though. It was kinda rugged, 3-5 with 6's every once in a while. The viz was not good, 40' on Black condo, and about 20' up on Gazebo. The current was mild and to the noprth, and the water temp was 72 all the way down. Lots and lots of fish including one large nurse shark and one unknown shark, a turtle and a freeswimming green moray.

Next!
Again, no pics. I've been trying my hand at shooting video, and the results aren't yet ready for primetime. Here's a summary of recent conditions though:

Over the weekend we had the same turbid 30-40' viz and alternating strong and very mild currents, sometimes on the same trip. The water has been 72, but there was a thermocline rolling across the top of the reef that dipped south of 69 on Saturday afternoon. There has been no sign of it since.

Tuesday we saw the first blue water we've seen in a while and vis was back up to 60-70 feet and improving by the time we went back in. There was also three knot current outside of the reef, but inside it was a moderate to strong, maybe 1/2 knot. I didn't check the water temps, but it felt like it was in the upper 72's.

We have a trip later on today, hopefully I'll have video that I'm not embarrased of.

Kevin,, not a bad photo of me at all of me trying to shoot some fish....I will have to post some photos aswell

Okay! Sorry to be tardy... Here's what I can recall from the weekend. I do believe that Saturday was very nice. Seas were something like 3 feet. Like I said, I was testing out a cool little camera, a Nikon Coolpix P6000 in a FIX housing. It's definitely a cool setup, but different than what I am used to so it has been a learning experience for me. We did the Castor and Tabletops, and unfortunately, I forgot to charge the strobe batteries and it died on the second dive.

Visibility was not so hot... maybe 50' on the wreck and 30' on the reef. Blue water with alot of snowy particles suspended in it. The current was moving along pretty good on the first dive, on the strong side of moderate to strong. Water temps were 72 by my machine, but it felt kinda warm, and there were reports of 73 as well. There were lobsters here and there on the reef.

DSCN0376a.jpg

This was taken on the second dive, with no strobe. I was surprised at how well the camera did without it.

Kevin,, not a bad photo of me at all of me trying to shoot some fish....I will have to post some photos aswell

Right? It's a cool little camera. That was with no strobe. I think I may have some video to put up tonight if I can unfangle it. Here's the stats on the water in the meantime:

Seas were 2-3', vis was about 70-80 feet, blue water, mild north current. Hopefully video to follow.

Great updates Kevin. Keep 'em coming! I'm really looking forward to diving with you the end of March.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom