The Cairns effect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BaronJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I suppose, technically, I am on the wrong thread since I am not even a new diver yet, more just wishing to be one.

I wonder if anyone can try to explain to me what is so great about Cairns and the diving scene there. I'd really like to hear from people who maybe went to Cairns intending to stay a couple of weeks and ended up there for months because they really got into diving, especially if you did a DM there.

The reason I ask is because this is exactly what my girlfriend did/is doing, and it's doing my head in not being able to relate to what she's talking about. She got there at the beginning of June and has just finished her work-off (she starts the DM on Sunday). She has fallen head over heels in love with diving and wants to work as a DM. I'd love to go out and join her but would like to have a bit of third party objectivity on the whole thing.

Also, Is it easy to get work as a DM there (or anywhere) and what does it pay?

More than anything what is it about the lifestyle and the crowd of people who take it to DM level or further that is so cool that people never want to leave!

I am not critical, just finding it difficult to picture the whole thing really.

Cheers all!

I can't help you yet, but I hope some folks out there reply. My wife works for an Aussie company and goes there a couple of times a year. I'm tagging along on the next trip and hope to go to Carins, but don't know much about finding where to dive and who to dive with. Unfortunately as far as staying on longer, my boss expects me back to work at some point in time!

and is the main port for diving the Great Barrier Reef. I like it. It is a real tourist mecca if you like tropical destinations. Part of the year you can't swim in the beaches because of the box jellyfish, but there are heaps of operations that will take you out for a dive to the reef and even train you there. The night life is fine and it is a popular destination for tens of thousands tourists each year. Checkout the Queensland Tourism site for more info, but it is hot...so pick your time of year for the weather and temperatures.
I like Queensland in general and you will to.
Cheers Big Ears,
Gasman

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Went to Cains this Summer. I was supposed to be in Oz for 12 months, I was so disappointed in Cairns that I didn't bother going anywhere else in Oz and got on the 1st plane back to Thailand where I'd just been after 2 WEEKS!
Cairns seemed like a poor version of Blackpool, very expensive and full of crappy people.

If it's still there Rum Runner is a good boat to go out on the reef but to be honest I saw more in the waters in Thailand than I saw on any of the dives we did on the reef and at a fraction of the cost.

I spent some time in Cairns, it was ok, too crowded for me. Port Douglas is a short distance away, it seemed more a more relaxed atmosphere. I had a great time there, there are several dive operators that will take you out to the GBR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom