"The Cave"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubastud16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone seen it? Watched it a couple weeks ago, and re-watched it tonight. Pretty goofy horror flick, but lots of caving. They do all of their diving on Megs. They break a lot of rules, but for the most part, it's relatively accurate as far as movies go. They are ESPECIALLY good with the rebreather knowledge (again, it's conditional, for a movie). Lots of great UW shots.

You all may know the systems, but I would venture to guess it was filmed in Florida.

Danny

Anyone seen it? Watched it a couple weeks ago, and re-watched it tonight. Pretty goofy horror flick, but lots of caving. They do all of their diving on Megs. They break a lot of rules, but for the most part, it's relatively accurate as far as movies go. They are ESPECIALLY good with the rebreather knowledge (again, it's conditional, for a movie). Lots of great UW shots.

You all may know the systems, but I would venture to guess it was filmed in Florida.

Danny

The Megs are real, and if you watch the credits after the movie, you will note a number of cave divers on the list of credits. One is even a member here on SB. Underwater cinematography was done by Wes Skiles, the world renown underwater filmographer. It was not filmed in Florida. In fact, I don't think any of was actually filmed in real caves, but I can't remember what Wes and Jakub said about that. ADM magazine did a nice writeup on the movie and gave some of the backstory. You should try to find that issue.

They break a lot of rules, but for the most part, it's relatively accurate as far as movies go. They are ESPECIALLY good with the rebreather knowledge (again, it's conditional, for a movie). Lots of great UW shots.

Accurate?? What about when the scooter explodes when it hits the wall? As far as horror films go, it fits the genre. :wink:

My advice is to watch the special features on the DVD- there are interviews and better cave footage. I thought they were much better than the actual movie.

The Megs are real, and if you watch the credits after the movie, you will note a number of cave divers on the list of credits. One is even a member here on SB. Underwater cinematography was done by Wes Skiles, the world renown underwater filmographer. It was not filmed in Florida. In fact, I don't think any of was actually filmed in real caves, .

I think part was filmed in Dos Ojos in Mexico as well.
Which member were you thinking of Matt?

I thought the actual cave sequences were filmed in Eastern Europe somewhere. I remember someone who worked on the sets posted about the pool setup they used. I can't remember whether it was on SB or TDS. It was very elaborate. As I recall, some of the footage was shot in real caves, though.

It was on local TV a couple of weeks ago. I could not watch more than 20 minutes of it - probably the stupidest diving movie I have ever (not) seen. I did happen to catch the one part (during a commercial break on another channel) where the lead (?) diver flings his gear on and jumps in the water to look for his friend that supposedly just got sucked up by a monster. The guy was on open circuit - why would they drag all that OC gear through the cave when they supposedly had rebreathers? Why did they suddenly switch to wetsuits, when they started out in drysuits? Why were they finning while using their scooters?

The divers are portrayed as one of the "top diving teams in the world", but not one of them showed any semblance of understanding of what "teamwork" actually is. They did not watch out for each other, made no concrete dive plans, took insane chances with themselves and their equipment, were solo diving all over the place, and on and on and on. Stupid, even for a horror flick.

I think part was filmed in Dos Ojos in Mexico as well.
Which member were you thinking of Matt?

LOF was who I was thinking of. He's offered insight into the filming and such of the movie several times. I believe he and his wife were both involved as stunt divers. And now that you mention it, I do remember the bit about continuing filming in Mexico.

LOF was who I was thinking of. He's offered insight into the filming and such of the movie several times. I believe he and his wife were both involved as stunt divers. And now that you mention it, I do remember the bit about continuing filming in Mexico.

Oh right, I know 2 other who are in the credits and I believe they are both SB members. Scott Carnahan and Andreas Matthes worked on the Mexican segments.

Oh I'm not saying it's spot on at all. I just thought the movie was more accurate than most (i.e. Thunderball, where Bond survives underwater for minutes on the miniscule "tank" that's less than 1 cu/ft).

DIR-A, I agree with you. Solo diving, lots of risks, lots of "trust me's," etc. I did not portray diving in a perfect light.

The "1 in 14 cavers die" comment bothered me a little.

I also don't understand why most were using split fins.

I did, however, like that they knew about the primary, backup, and HUD on the Meg; but on the other hand they could speak PERFECTLY with the mouthpiece in, they did NO deco after a "2.4 mile" treck, among other things.

Just some thoughts!

-Danny

It's a movie... not a documentary. 99% of the audience would fall asleep if the REAL stuff was on the screen. Even the TV documentaries are spiced up like you wouldn't believe.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom