"The Cave"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a movie... not a documentary. 99% of the audience would fall asleep if the REAL stuff was on the screen. Even the TV documentaries are spiced up like you wouldn't believe.
Yeah, if it was 100% accurate, the divers would be more worried about taking off their catheters than some creepy, supernatural cave monster. Now we know where all those blood curdling screams of terror were coming from. :wink:

It was on local TV a couple of weeks ago. I could not watch more than 20 minutes of it - probably the stupidest diving movie I have ever (not) seen. I did happen to catch the one part (during a commercial break on another channel) where the lead (?) diver flings his gear on and jumps in the water to look for his friend that supposedly just got sucked up by a monster. The guy was on open circuit - why would they drag all that OC gear through the cave when they supposedly had rebreathers? Why did they suddenly switch to wetsuits, when they started out in drysuits? Why were they finning while using their scooters?

The divers are portrayed as one of the "top diving teams in the world", but not one of them showed any semblance of understanding of what "teamwork" actually is. They did not watch out for each other, made no concrete dive plans, took insane chances with themselves and their equipment, were solo diving all over the place, and on and on and on. Stupid, even for a horror flick.
Dude... it's a movie. I don't wanna see them standing around comparing pre-monster SAC rates vs. post-monster SAC rates, doing monster avoidance drills, busting out maps with monster locations... I wanna see a couple people get ate up, not use it as an instruction manual.

OBG;

Thanks for the laugh!

Oh I'm not saying it's spot on at all. I just thought the movie was more accurate than most (i.e. Thunderball, where Bond survives underwater for minutes on the miniscule "tank" that's less than 1 cu/ft).

DIR-A, I agree with you. Solo diving, lots of risks, lots of "trust me's," etc. I did not portray diving in a perfect light.

The "1 in 14 cavers die" comment bothered me a little.

I also don't understand why most were using split fins.

I did, however, like that they knew about the primary, backup, and HUD on the Meg; but on the other hand they could speak PERFECTLY with the mouthpiece in, they did NO deco after a "2.4 mile" treck, among other things.

Just some thoughts!

-Danny
14 in 14 cave divers die................:eyebrow:

Divers from around the globe worked on this flick along side actors who learned to dive quickly.. There is a difference between what Hollywood sees as attractive and what the divers actually did. The main shooting in the 'cave' was done in a purpose built swimming pool in Romania. Other shots were done in Mexico.

Jill Heinerth was the main dive co-ordinator/diver and Wes Skiles was the main UW cinematographer.

The movie sucked, but the stories about the set/dive setups are incredible.

In July at Ft. Lauderdale airport on our way to guatemala --in the bar of course-- Curt Bowen and I ran into Cole Hauser. He played "Jack," the leader of the team. He heard us talking about cave diving and introduced himself.

He told us some of the inside scoop on how they shot the movie (which, of course, I won't reveal). He had great things to say about Wes Skiles and Jill Heinerth --Jill is the one who actually built the Megladons they used.

Jeff

He had great things to say about Wes Skiles and Jill Heinerth --Jill is the one who actually built the Megladons they used.

Jeff

What do you mean "built"?

Jill went to ISC to build megs for the movie............They also made a newer version with a can that holds a extendair scrubbers for ease of use (aka Movie Meg) as well as adapters for standard cans.

The fancy looking covers were a hollywood addition, more dramatic :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom