The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tides for Port of Palm Beach starting with April 9, 2010.

High 5:52 PM 2.6

Dived the bridge yesterday (Wed 4/8) and had a good dive. Viz was ok and there was only a few other divers about.

Did have an issue when a fisherman managed to cast his line onto my wife's fin and then proceeded to try and 'haul her out of the water'! This was the dive I suddenly realised why I have shears attached to the front of my BC for quick and easy access!

Aside from that scary moment the dive was a lot of fun. Saw a baby Cownose Ray which I hadn't seen before and lots of other interesting little critters.

Good to hear that you had a nice dive!

I suppose with the low bridge closed, the divers aren't the only ones concentrated on the west side. Make sure to surface periodically when you are in the proximity of the fishing pier to allow courtesy and avoid areas actively being fished.

Thanks for bringing this up so we can be extra cautious tomorrow (and the rest of the year for that matter.)

Also...any chance you have a temp report?

Last edited:
As a side note, BET is filming "spring bling" on saturday over on singer island, so there might be a few more people in the area than normal, so plan accordingly if you are diving on saturday.

Temp was 73'. I thought it was nice and warm (being from the UK) but my wife (native to Florida) was really cold!

It was really odd what happened with the fishing line. The previous two times we had dived the Bridge the West fishing pier was covered with fishermen, with lines dangling all over the place but we never so much as swam into one. Yesterday when we entered the water there was only 3 or 4 people fishing at the most. I think that what happened was maybe a fisherman had just arrived and was casting his lines as we were swimming past. Normally you can avoid the lines that are already there but I wasn't used to lines coming in over the top of us.

Also (I don't know anything about fishing by the way) I didn't realise that they could cast their lines under the pier itself. I thought they just hung them over the side meaning that if you swum underneath you were pretty safe. We were right under the pier at the time so the line must have come underneath in a pendulum motion before hooking onto my wifes fin!

LESSON LEARNED FOR THE FUTURE!!!!

thanks for the temperature update!

Glad to hear your wife is OK. Being a fisherman myself, (and have fished that pier a few times) I always get nervous when we go over in that area, even though I have been there a couple dozen times!

Water was 72 today, average vis. Nice dive, saw most of the usual critters out there with the highlight being a large jawfish with a mouthful of eggs.

Saw a baby Cownose Ray which I hadn't seen before and lots of other interesting little critters.

If this is what you saw it is a Bull Nose ray. When it was 1st seen at the bridge we weren't sure what it was and we have seen a school of cownose rays there before. I have been searching for it for months & finally found it last weekend. I was led to it by a huge bat fish

P4035433_edited-2.jpg P4035432_edited-2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom