The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haha.jpg

More appropriately. sry not much effort put into that. lol

If you could get a good deal at the Hilton on Singer Island I'd stay there, otherwise I'd look for something in Palm Beach Gardens.

I'll prob be at the bridge on sat, thanks to the big waves this weekend.

Questions about the BHB area where do you dive veterans recommend to stay the night(hotels) thats safe and clean dont mind a 10-20min drive if i have to play it safe. thanks heading out sat morning to BHB with dive class to get my cert then the open water on sunday. thanks!

Sean--
There is a Super 8 a couple miles north of the bridge on US 1. It's far enough north of the Riviera Beach area to be safe. I live nearby, and would be comfortable with the area. As for clean, I give no guarantees; but, looks decent to me when I drive past.

There are also several nicer hotels on Singer Island, right near the bridge--it's more of a resort area, so they are pricier--between $100 and $200/night.........

My wife and I did the east side of BHB today. It was overcast and started thundering when we entered the water. High tide was at 11:28 and according to my computer we were in at 10:57. There was a slight current but not as bad as on May 3rd. Visibility was good. We saw a 3 - 4 foot southern sting ray. Actually we either saw the same one twice or it was two seperate rays. The second time was fairly close... we were under the bridge and I was looking at piling and apparently my wife was yelling into her reg trying to get my attention (we ended up buying tank bangers immediately after we left due to this). When I turned around he was behind us swimming away from us. Had I seen him when he was directly across from me he probably would have been 15 feet away.

Near the end of our dive we saw a pod or school, not sure which, of small stingrays. There were 10 - 12 of them.

We were down a total of 49 minutes. The only down side was that I forgot our dive lights in the car. As it was overcast it was a dark under the bridge so I couldn't see into all the nooks and crevices.

We entered and exited at the retaining wall near the bridge and walked along the water line to and from our car. As we were coming back and walked next to the life guard tower a sheriff officer questioned us if the life guard told us not to dive directly in front of the tower in the swimming area. I said no that we walked the beach to the wall and entered there. I guess the life guard had told a couple of people not to dive in the swimming area as it is a liability issue for the guards since they can't see the divers but the 2 divers did it anyways. This is according to the sheriff officer as we did not witness nor hear any confrontation.

Anyways, this is my 3rd dive at the bridge and again I'm just amazed at the sea life, ease of diving and accessibility at the site. Not sure when we will make it back, but I know it won't be next week as Monday and Tuesday would be my only days available and I believe high tides are late afternoon / early evening.

diving_emtp

Hey Cooltech, your shots are great and don’t worry about not having a big camera, they are nice but the camera doesn’t make the photographer.

This guy's stuff sucked until he moved up to an expensive DSLR.

Attachments

• _anteater.jpg
    _anteater.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 93
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom