The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

me thinks its a planehead filefish... (ReefID, page 405)

Steve,
this past Sunday viz was about 4-5ft. If I got more than one body length away from my buddy, she couldn't see me. We ended up spending a lot of time looking for small stuff, which ended up well because we found a seahorse!!

YouTube - 2.13.11_Seahorse at Blue Heron Bridge

Question time!

Following http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/368090-public-meeting-discuss-proposed-marine-sanctuary-riviera-beach-bhb.html and the debate of divers and fishermen (I am both by the way) and the separation that needs to be in place, someone brought up the point of divers should never be around the fishing pier.

Now I have seen pictures in this thread from under/around the pilings of the pier. I have only dove the East side, so can someone please explain how you are supposed to dive the West side if you are to stay away from the pier and its surroundings? IF this is the case, Wadespage and many other sources (actual divers included) are misleading folks that are otherwise inexperienced in the site.

Diving the area is a risk that i believe all of us are aware of, so lets not go there. The sole questions is how do you tour the area while avoiding the pier?

Question time!...............................The sole questions is how do you tour the area while avoiding the pier?

I normally dive the west side: lately I have been staying south of the main bridge pilings, heading west in the 'crushed shell' area then heading north along the channel 'wall' and finally completing the dive with a eastward swim between the pilings on my way back to the beach exit. I have been following this particular path simply because I find it interesting from a macro perspective, not because I'm avoiding the pier. In fact, I've taken 2 + hours to follow this very path as I am looking for critters to photograph. The route does avoid the fishing pier.

I have dove under the pier many times but found that I don't enjoy it all that much. If you stay directly under the pier, you're not likely to get hooked, though sometimes the fishing line will flow with the current under the pier.

had 20' vis and 68 degrees in the creek tonight- chilly chilly. Saw a school of jacks, a sweet mantis shrimp and even found a legal sized lobster in a culvert-like pipe who has seen way too many divers to get close to. Couldn't help but envy the cool kids peeling off their drysuits as I got there tho.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom