The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those are great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

And the boat ramp is open 24/7.

The beach and playground close at sunset.

The pier and the pavilions close at 10:00 PM

The boat ramp is open 24/7
-----------------------------

Much of this comes from the background of several years past. Drugs, hookers, gangs & fighting were prevalent at that time even with the area being patrolled. To quell this activity the beach area and the playground area were closed at sundown. Guess what? It worked! Crime and criminal activities moved away from the bridge.

Two years ago, it was pointed out to the city that this was the case. At that time the question came up about allowing night diving. The city did not want to take on the liability of divers entering the water from the park at night and instituted the "$1,000,000 Liability Insurance" and registration with the city as a group who has that insurance. That group is allowed to pull free permits to make night dives.

There are a number of groups who carry the required liability insurance needed to register and pull the permit through the city. Most independent instructors carry the required liability insurance. But, they need to register with the city in order to pull those permits.

On the other hand, it is very common for dive clubs to hold the same liability insurance to "cya" when they schedule group dives for their members. They can also register with the city and pull permits.

Of course, we have enough people here to start a club, incorporate the club, elect the four officers required to meet state guidelines as an incorporated club.

Dues to members could be the cost of the insurance, incorporation, web hosting & small amount for paperwork management divided by the number of people in the club.

Depending on the number in the club, dues could end up to be as little as $5.00 per year. But, $20-$25 gives the club a chance to schedule other events for members such as dives in other areas, picnic outings at dive sites, etc.

One of the hardest things to get with a club is agreement of the club name.

Examples:
South Florida Scuba Trolls
Blue Heron Bridge Trolls
South Florida Beach Divers

I like South Florida Scuba Trolls

... I'm just putting the information out there. So far I haven't found an area club I wanted to join, so I did the minimal investigation about starting one. Now you have that information too

We are going to be diving in W. Palm next weekend (arriving 18th) and I see that there is a high tide that Friday night. Is a permit required for a night dive? Saw the above e-mail and it sounds that way. IF so is there a group going in that has a permit that we can join? Can you enter at the boat ramp? Any suggestions appreciated.

The beach and playground close at sunset.

The pier and the pavilions close at 10:00 PM

The boat ramp is open 24/7
-----------------------------

Much of this comes from the background of several years past. Drugs, hookers, gangs & fighting were prevalent at that time even with the area being patrolled. To quell this activity the beach area and the playground area were closed at sundown. Guess what? It worked! Crime and criminal activities moved away from the bridge.

Two years ago, it was pointed out to the city that this was the case. At that time the question came up about allowing night diving. The city did not want to take on the liability of divers entering the water from the park at night and instituted the "$1,000,000 Liability Insurance" and registration with the city as a group who has that insurance. That group is allowed to pull free permits to make night dives.

There are a number of groups who carry the required liability insurance needed to register and pull the permit through the city. Most independent instructors carry the required liability insurance. But, they need to register with the city in order to pull those permits.

On the other hand, it is very common for dive clubs to hold the same liability insurance to "cya" when they schedule group dives for their members. They can also register with the city and pull permits.

Of course, we have enough people here to start a club, incorporate the club, elect the four officers required to meet state guidelines as an incorporated club.

Dues to members could be the cost of the insurance, incorporation, web hosting & small amount for paperwork management divided by the number of people in the club.

Depending on the number in the club, dues could end up to be as little as $5.00 per year. But, $20-$25 gives the club a chance to schedule other events for members such as dives in other areas, picnic outings at dive sites, etc.

One of the hardest things to get with a club is agreement of the club name.

Examples:
South Florida Scuba Trolls
Blue Heron Bridge Trolls
South Florida Beach Divers

I like South Florida Scuba Trolls

... I'm just putting the information out there. So far I haven't found an area club I wanted to join, so I did the minimal investigation about starting one. Now you have that information too

I would join just for the odd times I am in FL at night dive times

Hello everyone, we are a dutch couple that are staying in West Palm Beach for a weekend (14-15-16 may). Mainly for water skiing but we also like to make one or two dives at Blue Heron Bridge. We will take only our masks and fins to Florida and not BCD's or regulators. So we will have to rent some gear and of course also some tanks. Is it possible to just go to a dive shop and rent gear without going with them on a diving trip? And of course we don't know anything about tides, how will we know that we are going at the right tide? Can anyone advise us.

Or else, are there dive shops that can take you on a diving trip to the Blue Heron Bridge? Or are there diving clubs which we can join just for the weekend?

I hope there is a way for us to go diving there. I heard a lot about the Blue Heron Bridge and I am very looking forward to diving there.

Sent you a PM.

Hello everyone, we are a dutch couple that are staying in West Palm Beach for a weekend (14-15-16 may). Mainly for water skiing but we also like to make one or two dives at Blue Heron Bridge. We will take only our masks and fins to Florida and not BCD's or regulators. So we will have to rent some gear and of course also some tanks. Is it possible to just go to a dive shop and rent gear without going with them on a diving trip? And of course we don't know anything about tides, how will we know that we are going at the right tide? Can anyone advise us.

Or else, are there dive shops that can take you on a diving trip to the Blue Heron Bridge? Or are there diving clubs which we can join just for the weekend?

I hope there is a way for us to go diving there. I heard a lot about the Blue Heron Bridge and I am very looking forward to diving there.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom