The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had a neat find and a first for me - *two* of those blennies in the same hole. I assume one male, one female. Also, my first ever find of a seahorse on my own, and he was a decent sized rascal.

Originally entered about an hour and fifteen minutes prior to the listed high tide. Waded out to the end of the pilings at the west end and by the time I managed to get both fins on, I was on my way towards Jacksonville in a hurry. It was all I could do to get back to the entry point and wait for it to slow down a bit. Was still sitting there when sportxlh advised me that it should be fine by the time he arrived for entry. I'm way too old for fighting a bunch of current. . .

BTW, I woulda guessed the little angel to have been a blue rather than a queen - with both being some of my favorite things to see in the ocean.

Kevin
I wonder if these two look familiar to you:
IMGP7568.jpg

This was a first for me as well. There is even a jealous lover off to the left! I took a lot of photos when I saw two blennies in one hole, but most came out horrible. Luckily this one looks good, and when I reviewed it on the computer, it looks like there were eggs in there.

If you don't like the strong current (it does get STRONG), there is still a lot to see to the south, which is virtually current-free. The boat and shopping carts have some nice life.

As far as the juvi angelfish, I saw him on December 28 of last year, but he was too shy and I couldn't get a good shot. Saw him the next day, and I snapped the pic then. I saw him again in the same place Feb 5th, and he was a bit bigger but was being shy again (I'm assuming it's the same one, I haven't seen many out here). After looking at many photos and reading the differences between Queen and Blue, I figured it was a queen. But I am a total noob at this! I have tons of learning to do.

IMGP7568.jpg

This was a first for me as well. There is even a jealous lover off to the left! I took a lot of photos when I saw two blennies in one hole, but most came out horrible. Luckily this one looks good, and when I reviewed it on the computer, it looks like there were eggs in there.

L-U-V Love the Valentine Blennies! So sweet!

IMGP7568.jpg

If you don't like the strong current (it does get STRONG), there is still a lot to see to the south, which is virtually current-free. The boat and shopping carts have some nice life.

As far as the juvi angelfish, I saw him on December 28 of last year, but he was too shy and I couldn't get a good shot. Saw him the next day, and I snapped the pic then. I saw him again in the same place Feb 5th, and he was a bit bigger but was being shy again (I'm assuming it's the same one, I haven't seen many out here). After looking at many photos and reading the differences between Queen and Blue, I figured it was a queen. But I am a total noob at this! I have tons of learning to do.

Whoa! That is *so* cool! I'm pretty sure that's not the same hole mine were in, and I *surely* didn't get that kind of look down *into* the hole. Great shot! I *did* note that when the gal was down below (assuming the guy is the larger of the two), the way the guy was shaking and shivering, I was almost embarrassed to keep watching.:eyebrow:

My plan *had* been to dive the "south" area for the first part of the dive, but the current said "you can't get there from here". I still have a good bit to learn about the area. But, I'm *really* looking forward to the lessons.

Finally got around to getting some pics from December dives up on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mentalblock/sets/72157625892637211/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mentalblock/sets/72157626018427288/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mentalblock/sets/72157626018793684/

Kevin
Savannah

Last edited:
Holy cow, those are some great quality pics! You've snapped some creatures I've never seen but have been wanting to (cornetfish, yellow-headed jawfish). And that damselfish with the red head looks awesome, never seen one.

Thanks. I came very close to not bothering with the cornetfish as it looked almost exactly like a nearby piece of palm frond trash. Made a neat breakthrough this past weekend, though, when I tried an old mask with weaker "readers" in it. Well, it's actually sort of "trifocals", but the weaker reader part was perfect for actually seeing little stuff without having to stick my mask right up next to it. Next thing you know, I'll find my first nudibranch. :D

The jawfish seemed to sort of get used to me being there after about a half hour. :D I was thrilled to get a couple of shots of him with broken shells in his mouth. I'll likely not live long enough to find one with a mouth full of eggs. . .

I think the damsel is a juvenile dusky. I'd seen a number of them diving LBTS, but had never had the patience to wait one out of his hidey hole once I'd been spotted. This guy was in a fairly restricted area with few places to hide, and once I sort of figured out some of his patterns, I went to the trouble of lining up the modeling lights on my strobes so as to make the camera's autofocus have a chance at occasionally catching him. He was still almost as aggravating as the juvenile yellowtail damsels - which I have a major love/hate relatonship with. :D They are *so* challenging, but also just *so* cool to look at.

Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom