The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two photos from KP; the blurry one from me

Here are a couple photos from our Tues & Wed dives. I loved diving with not-one-but-two marine biologists!!! They pointed out so many things I never would have seen! Total troll-wannabees! I wish they weren't flying home tomorrow.

We didn't even see the blenny until we looked at the photos on the computer:

"Really Father Blenny, all I did was kiss her, really I swear!"
seahorse&blenny.jpg

Wednesday we found the pair together: A match made in Heaven.
seahorsepair.jpg

I took this one. Somewhat blurry but a good look at his extended abdomen ... yup, we're pregnant!
pregnantseahorse.jpg

Last edited:
Pair

Wednesday we found the pair together: A match made in Heaven.
View attachment 90829

]

Whoa! Cool! Same area as the single one?? Only saw the one today and by the time I got there the current was ripping so that I couldn't check out his tummy. Ran into my first Flying Gurnard on the way and couldn't pull myself away. Tried some video of it with the Rebel. We'll see. . . Hardly noticed the rain storm while watching that fishie hunt. :D Are you *sure* there's Bumblebee Shrimp under some of those urchins??:idk:

Kevin

I've emailed DOH for the raw data, and that should tell us if the area is safe to dive. As previously mentioned, the sample points aren't necessarily representative of the water column.

Geometric Mean is just a complicated average, so if there was a spike, it may take more samples for the mean to go down. DOH is supposed to take resamples if the data fails, and it looks they weren't taken until 3/7. Looks like the past 3 days have passed, which is the information I'm interested in. BTW - rain events will cause bacteria hits. Has it rained there lately?

Last edited:
I don't understand how nine of the last eleven samples show good yet the
geometric mean is still in the poor range ? Three good readings in a row is just
about enough for me to gear up !

I don't understand how nine of the last eleven samples show good yet the
geometric mean is still in the poor range ? Three good readings in a row is just
about enough for me to gear up !

where the tests are taken is a huge big deal, really eclipsing the other issues.
By testing in inch deep water at the shoreline, at near peak low tide, you are NOT getting ANY results which are relevent in any way to divers...you can use all kinds of fancy Geometric Mean type determinations, it will not matter when the area tested has nothing to do with the water collum we dive in.

They might as well test a puddle in the parking lot.

The bridge has been great this week, not too many divers (maybe due to red flags). Water is getting warmer 74.5-75.2. Here is an image of the pregnant seahorse seen at the bridge.
Good to meet jet on Wednesday.

Attachments

• Blue Heron Bridge pregnant seahorse.jpg
    Blue Heron Bridge pregnant seahorse.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 97
Got some help finding the seahorsies today. Thanks, Jim. Decided to try my luck with video with them today. Staying in West Palm this weekend. If someone would like to give me a tutorial for improving my video editing. . . It *may* be that I got some decent video of the pair today. Has to rank as one of my best dives, ever. I'm *completely* addicted to this hobby at this site.

Gonna head back out tomorrow. Just learnt from Mark at Force E that the "wall" by the channel is *not* the end of the dive area. Tells me that I can also dive on *other* side of that wall, and that there are pilings beyond that which separate us from the channel. (Explains why I misled miss Jet - sorry about that). Also tells me there might be some good stuff to see over yonder. I'll be easy to find in that area tomorrow between noon and 2 or so. :D

Kevin

A pic. . .

Got some help finding the seahorsies today. Thanks, Jim. Decided to try my luck with video with them today. Staying in West Palm this weekend. If someone would like to give me a tutorial for improving my video editing. . . It *may* be that I got some decent video of the pair today. Has to rank as one of my best dives, ever. I'm *completely* addicted to this hobby at this site.

Gonna head back out tomorrow. Just learnt from Mark at Force E that the "wall" by the channel is *not* the end of the dive area. Tells me that I can also dive on *other* side of that wall, and that there are pilings beyond that which separate us from the channel. (Explains why I misled miss Jet - sorry about that). Also tells me there might be some good stuff to see over yonder. I'll be easy to find in that area tomorrow between noon and 2 or so. :D

Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_5621wa.jpg
    IMG_5621wa.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 75

Kevin
sbtrollII.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom