The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More from Sunday... Lots still to learn about this camera and settings... whew!

It's getting to where no one is immune from paparazzi when they're on the can :D
octopus_BHB_11-06-1101.jpg

... and, coming out of the fourth turn it's Sea Biscuit by a... a... nose?
Well, at least you have to love the jockey on top.
seabiscuitt_BHB_11-06-1101.jpg

Out and about lookin' for a little romance... Anyone read a good novel lately?
harlequinbass_BHB_11-06-1101.jpg

Christina's last song was about diving at BHB... "Blenny in a Bottle"
seaweedblenny_BHB_11-06-1105.jpg

seaweedblenny_BHB_11-06-1106.jpg

seaweedblenny_BHB_11-06-1103.jpg

Flabalina mating season is about to begin...
flabolina_BHB_11-06-1102.jpg

flabolina_BHB_11-06-1103.jpg

flabolina_BHB_11-06-1105.jpg

That's enough for this week.
---

I AM glad to see your readings for today were zero... It means I likely will live to dive again :wink:

Sorry, I haven't had that kind of breath control, or sight for more than 20 years... :rofl3:

It's really sad how dependence on scuba tanks has pretty ruined sport diving over the past few decades. The use of tanks allows unfit and unworthy "divers" to spend too much time in the water allowing them to expel huge amounts of various precious and non-precious bodily fluids into whatever body of water they are infiltrating thus creating new environments for lionfish.

The current world record for breath holding is 19 minutes and 21 seconds. Now this is a guy who trains for this sort of thing, plus he's Swiss so he doesn't have anything else to do, but it's totally reasonable to expect even the most casual diver to be able to hold his/her/its breath for at least 15 minutes. One 15 minute dive in a lifetime would pretty much cover seeing whatever is there to see in the mudflats up there at Blue Heron.

I am quietly lobbying the Obama administration to pass federal regulations requiring anyone entering the water recreationally as a diver to demonstrate this ability. I know that a lot of people reading reading this are thinking, "Hey, that's terrific - this guy has finally realized that we need the government to get involved with sport diving to make it better for all of us. And I thought that Tom couldn't stand the President because Mr. Obama is the first person born in Kenya to be President of the United States."

Well listen, I LIKE Kenyans - I'm long over whatever happened during the Mau Mau uprising there in the 50's. The thing with the President is that he went to Punahou, and I went to Kamehameha, so that explains that.

It's really sad how dependence on scuba tanks has pretty ruined sport diving over the past few decades. The use of tanks allows unfit and unworthy "divers" to spend too much time in the water allowing them to expel huge amounts of various precious and non-precious bodily fluids into whatever body of water they are infiltrating thus creating new environments for lionfish.

The current world record for breath holding is 19 minutes and 21 seconds. Now this is a guy who trains for this sort of thing, plus he's Swiss so he doesn't have anything else to do, but it's totally reasonable to expect even the most casual diver to be able to hold his/her/its breath for at least 15 minutes. One 15 minute dive in a lifetime would pretty much cover seeing whatever is there to see in the mudflats up there at Blue Heron.

I am quietly lobbying the Obama administration to pass federal regulations requiring anyone entering the water recreationally as a diver to demonstrate this ability. I know that a lot of people reading reading this are thinking, "Hey, that's terrific - this guy has finally realized that we need the government to get involved with sport diving to make it better for all of us. And I thought that Tom couldn't stand the President because Mr. Obama is the first person born in Kenya to be President of the United States."

Well listen, I LIKE Kenyans - I'm long over whatever happened during the Mau Mau uprising there in the 50's. The thing with the President is that he went to Punahou, and I went to Kamehameha, so that explains that.

So what did you have in your coffee this morning :wink: ?

I noticed that the "Enterococcus geometric mean" was still "poor" according to the sampling history on the Florida Dept of Health website, and that a warning was issued. Anyone know what that means?? The other sampling showed little, if any bacteria...so is the health dept just being overly cautious in case someone gets sick and decides to sue them?? lol

Thanks for new wallpaper! (Blenny in a bottle)

More from Sunday... Lots still to learn about this camera and settings... whew!

It's getting to where no one is immune from paparazzi when they're on the can :D
octopus_BHB_11-06-1101.jpg

... and, coming out of the fourth turn it's Sea Biscuit by a... a... nose?
Well, at least you have to love the jockey on top.
seabiscuitt_BHB_11-06-1101.jpg

Out and about lookin' for a little romance... Anyone read a good novel lately?
harlequinbass_BHB_11-06-1101.jpg

Christina's last song was about diving at BHB... "Blenny in a Bottle"
seaweedblenny_BHB_11-06-1105.jpg

seaweedblenny_BHB_11-06-1106.jpg

seaweedblenny_BHB_11-06-1103.jpg

Flabalina mating season is about to begin...
flabolina_BHB_11-06-1102.jpg

flabolina_BHB_11-06-1103.jpg

flabolina_BHB_11-06-1105.jpg

That's enough for this week.
---

I AM glad to see your readings for today were zero... It means I likely will live to dive again :wink:

I've decided I hate my camera. Nothing is post worthy compared to Jim's.

But that being said, I was up at the bridge today with my out-of-town guests: KP and KW. They are both marine biologists. We found a pregnant seahorse!!! He was pouring out all his pregnant sob stories to a little blenny. KP took a great photo I will try to post when he downloads from his camera.

Also lots of bumble bee shrimp, those red & white nudi's, octopus, the "blenny in the bottle" & bicycle handle ... lots of cool stuff.

It was a beautiful dive: maybe 20-30 ft viz (the best it ever gets) and water temp 78. (Can that be right?)

I dropped the fridge off at Force E on our way this morning, btw.

I've decided I hate my camera. Nothing is post worthy compared to Jim's.
I'm still trying to figure out how I will attach my wet lenses to the camera. I've been milking my SeaLife DC600 for 4 years while comparing my shots to those taken with the DSLR crowd here... All the time thinking, "All I need is...". I tricked out the DC600 so much that the SeaLife experts were telling me I couldn't take the photos I was taking with the DC600, and asking me to send them into SeaLife to add to their advertising... :rofl3:

There are so many settings on the new DSLR rig... It will drive one insane. :eyebrow:

On the other hand, I read an article the other day that stated there were 6 possible pictures from every shot... I've been playing with that thought and attempting 6-12 shots per subject... What you see of my photos above are some of the best from over 200 photos on Sunday

Keep your current camera and find out where the "cool", but undocumented add-ons are located...

In particular, I like Optical Ocean Sales and ReefNet.ca

Both of these sites have add-ons you want, but never thought of.. :wink:

I noticed that the "Enterococcus geometric mean" was still "poor" according to the sampling history on the Florida Dept of Health website, and that a warning was issued. Anyone know what that means?? The other sampling showed little, if any bacteria...so is the health dept just being overly cautious in case someone gets sick and decides to sue them?? lol

The real issue here is the nonsense involved in testing at the shoreline in an inch or two of water, and at peak low tide.....it may well have it's use for toddlers playing at the edge of the water, but for the state agency to have suggested this was in any way relevant to water quality for divers demonstrates a complete absence of usefulness to us....in other words, my inclination would be to treat further communications by them as if they did not exist :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom