The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hit a sore spot there.. and it's not just the ones with the cheapo cameras. We were shooting some stuff for Hermit Crab's science project last fall at the shopping carts. Some photographers came by. We left so they could shoot (we had been there a good half hour already). Came back 15 minutes later and one of them is laying across the carts!!!!

Tides for today: High=1:00 (+- 10 min)
Tides for Sun: High=3:00 (+-10 min) Don't forget to "Spring forward" those clocks tonight

Thanks for the reminder. I looked at the tide charts and noticed the 2 hour difference in high tides between today and Sunday and then actually pondered, momentarily, what sort of celestial event would be causing the high tide mark to be off by about an hour on Sunday. I finally woke up to the fact that it is spring and clocks move, but the moon stays on course.

By the way: the avatar is great.

Hit a sore spot there.. and it's not just the ones with the cheapo cameras. We were shooting some stuff for Hermit Crab's science project last fall at the shopping carts. Some photographers came by. We left so they could shoot (we had been there a good half hour already). Came back 15 minutes later and one of them is laying across the carts!!!!

I am also thinking the majority of good divers, needs to begin pointing to the surface when we see a diver or divers swimming head up, and feet down, silting and kangarooing as they go----and tell them to fix their bouyancy and stay off the bottom!!!
Should this bad behavior be ignored, or should these people be "helped" ?

5 to 10 bad divers can completely destroy vis withing 10 minutes, over a huge area.

I am also thinking the majority of good divers, needs to begin pointing to the surface when we see a diver or divers swimming head up, and feet down, silting and kangarooing as they go----and tell them to fix their bouyancy and stay off the bottom!!!
Should this bad behavior be ignored, or should these people be "helped" ?

5 to 10 bad divers can completely destroy vis withing 10 minutes, over a huge area.

I think it is incumbent upon anyone to try to help other divers improve their skills. It can be extremely hard to make the point. Every so often I've asked a diver on shore" were you having issues with your gear? I noticed you were hitting the bottom often during the dive." Some folks get the point, some do not.
I also use the "no-no" finger wave whenever I see someone touching the reef...again some get the point.
I think however our best tool is modeling great bouyancy skills at all times. You might be suprised at how effective that is.

We dove BHB today. Weather was amazing...coolish but oh so sunny...water was 70 degrees, viz probably not more than 15 feet...this was on the east side of the park, near the construction area. Had hoped to see some big critters, as we saw a manatee and a bunch of spotted eagle rays the last time we dove this side but they were somewhere else today. Still, all in all a good dive. Overheard the lifeguard telling some people that the water was off limits to swimmers due to "really high bacteria levels"...also the sign by the lifeguard shack said "closed to swimmers" or something...that made me chuckle a little. There were maybe 15 other divers spread out on the east side, so it was pretty nice...not crowded at all.

I will be diving this site at the end of March for my first time. I have not read all 323 pages of threads but I gather that all the diving is on the south side, along the bridges to either side and best at high slack tide. If crowds of divers is a problem I will pick a week day morning to make that jump. If any of my assumptions is not correct or there are additional areas I should be looking at please let me know. There are references to where to go there that refer to an area I have never been to so if someone can dumb this down for me as to the best locations it would be a big help. Also if this site is closed can anyone suggest secondary sites in the area? Last the people with me will only be interested in liquid that contains alcohol so any good places for them to go while I am diving would also be a big help.

I will be diving this site at the end of March for my first time. I have not read all 323 pages of threads but I gather that all the diving is on the south side, along the bridges to either side and best at high slack tide. If crowds of divers is a problem I will pick a week day morning to make that jump. If any of my assumptions is not correct or there are additional areas I should be looking at please let me know. There are references to where to go there that refer to an area I have never been to so if someone can dumb this down for me as to the best locations it would be a big help.

Right now, there is only diving on the West span due to construction on the east span. You can also dive under any of the anchored boats. Do go on a weekday, it's much less crowded and parking will be available.

Enjoy! You'll love it. Make sure you look for the small stuff. It looks like a barren wasteland to new divers, but if you take it slow, you'll see amazing things.

Lisa

Last edited:
Hey now... don't be thowin' off on us "cheapo camera" people.

My welfare payments ain't big enough yet to afford one of them high falutin' outfits!!!:confined:

LOL neither are mine...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom