The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope. I went east and south. Found 5-6 different ones and all a bit shy. I tried for a few minutes with each one. This one was the most willing, he was the only one who reached out for my glove. Oh, my gosh! I just remembered. Weirdest thing with this guy. He was the only one who looked white, all the others were brown. He came out of his bottle a little bit, and I put my finger out towards him (like over his head) and kept thinking I was touching something. But there was nothing there. Then I realized I was getting a very faint sensation like an electrical current whenever I got my finger/hand near him. It was bizzare! Happened 4 or 5 times!

Great shots Jenny!!! That's first guy looks like a saddled blenny, I could be sooooo wrong though. I looked in Reef Fish Identification book, by Paul Humann.

Lisa

It's not a saddled blenny. (iris) Eye shape is wrong. He has a triangular shape, blennies are round. That puts him in the bass family.

Jenny's fish

wrasse.jpg

Jenny is this the same fish you saw? KP took this photo when he was here last month. He called it a juvenile puddingwife, a wrasse that changes colors a few times during in its life cycle. I'm at work - so don't have my books handy for reference.

jet

View attachment 91750

Jenny is this the same fish you saw? KP took this photo when he was here last month. He called it a juvenile puddingwife, a wrasse that changes colors a few times during in its life cycle. I'm at work - so don't have my books handy for reference.

jet

That's not a juvenile puddingwife. From what I recall, when I've seen juvenile puddingwife's their behaviors are similar to a blue head wrasse.. and shaped very much the same. I need to upload some more pics of this guy. But.. I think KP and I photographed similar fishes...

View attachment 91750

jet
Since I'm a noob to all this, I do a lot of Google searching to figure out different creatures I find at the bridge. Here's one of my favorite ID sites:
http://reefguide.org/carib/index4.html

That looks like a lantern bass. The first time I saw one was this past Wed. when I went snorkeling at the bridge. I got a good pic of it, and when I got home I used the above site to ID it.

Since I'm a noob to all this, I do a lot of Google searching to figure out different creatures I find at the bridge. Here's one of my favorite ID sites:
Caribbean Reefs - Groupers - Seabasses - Basslets - Soapfishes

That looks like a lantern bass. The first time I saw one was this past Wed. when I went snorkeling at the bridge. I got a good pic of it, and when I got home I used the above site to ID it.

Originally, I thought so too.. but the face shape is all wrong, and the body coloring is wrong too. I think a key identifier (and why I chose this pic) is the top of his dorsal fin where the front is longer and has white.

Hey!

I resemble that remark!!! :confined::crazyeye:

He meant "drive down". I used to get my shine from a fella named R** D*****. He only had had two uppers. When he ate an apple he peeled it like one of the RonCo contraptions. IJS :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom