The controversial topic - diving with (slightly) congested nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ever since I can remember I've had one nostril or another significantly blocked and pretty much unbreathable. Rare is the time when both nasal passages are totally clear. To my knowledge I'm not allergic to anything, so I've just learned to live with it and I dive with it all the time. NEVER have I had a problem clearing sinuses or ears that I couldn't relate to a cold.

I'd say go for it. I even took a nice case of otitis externa to Bonaire with me once and dove all week with it. I was able to equalize just fine.

I also have this problem, and the congestion usually goes away as the day goes on. I agree with famfubar on the NeilMed-it's a premeasured saline packet that you add to water. They have a kit that has a bottle that you use to mix it in and then squirt half of it up one nostril, blow your nose, and then do the other nostril. It works so well that I use it every day, and am clear all day and night.

This really does work for a lot of people (myself included) . Particularly if you dive fresh water a lot it "prepares" you for the salt air which can be an additional irritant if you are not used to it. I'd use it everyday, but at least several days before you go. Packs easily but pay attention to the salt you use (the packets are great for travel), what water you use (microwave drinking water of you can, otherwise hot tap water os fine) and watch the teperature.

Check out this link to a previous thread (a bit long but you'll get the idea):http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...everyday-feeling-good-anybody-else-doing.html

I've had seasonal allergies for years as well. For me, it was resulting in bronchitis twice a year, until a doctor linked it to the seasons and advised I take one benadryl each night before bed. The benadryl inhibits the histamine reaction, so I don't wake up congested.

Hello everyone

I am off to Sharm next Sunday and I am wondering whether I will actually get to dive or not. For the past 4-6 months I have had a slightly congested nose - first thing in the mornings one of my nostrils is normally blocked but after a shower, i can breathe through both and can equalise quite easily (this is out of the water). Late in the evening, I am sometimes a bit stuffed up again. I can't seem to shake it and I really want to be able to dive.

I've read all the posts saying no no no, not even if it's slight but I thought i'd ask again. As I said, I can equalise and a squirt of Vicks (decongestent) sorts me out for the whole day although generally, just a bit of spitting (sorry guys) sorts me out.

Does anyone have any great thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

Will

I usually carry a bottle of Afrin or some other brand on the boat with me just in case I need it. I usually don't but it's good to have just in case. The times I have been a little congested and have used it, it's work perfectly for me. It clears me up in a matter of minutes. I usually use the "12 hour" kind so unless you are going to do one heck of a long dive, you shouldn't have to worry about it's effects failing during a dive.

BDSC

Get yourself a neti-pot and use it for the next week. It will get the residual crud out and may go a long way toward reducing your daily issues. I was just like you have described, started using a neti-pot and now I get up, use the neti-pot, take a shower and don't have any issues until the next morning. Be warned though, it takes a week or so to get used to it, the first week you'll be blowing your nose more than usual throughout the morning.

I have chronic congestion from dust mite allergy. Was using over the counter antihistamines and nasal decongestants. About 4 mo ago, switched to Flonase. It is not perfect, but keeps the swelling down a lot. Also, I received a prescription for a nasal spray antihistimine. It greatly reduces post nasal drip and sinus congestion without major systemic effects (i.e., no drowsiness or blood pressure problems). I've been diving for about 10 days total using those drugs and my nose, eustachian tubes and ears have been in the best shape ever.

I have chronic congestion from dust mite allergy. Was using over the counter antihistamines and nasal decongestants. About 4 mo ago, switched to Flonase. It is not perfect, but keeps the swelling down a lot. Also, I received a prescription for a nasal spray antihistimine. It greatly reduces post nasal drip and sinus congestion without major systemic effects (i.e., no drowsiness or blood pressure problems). I've been diving for about 10 days total using those drugs and my nose, eustachian tubes and ears have been in the best shape ever.
I have taken Flonase to ease clearing, but I am reconsidering the practice after reading the post by Doctormike on the bottom of this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/252840-ear-problems-maybe-reverse-squeeze.html

He says it has no proven efficacy in the treatment of eustachian tube congestion.

I have taken Flonase to ease clearing, but I am reconsidering the practice after reading the post by Doctormike on the bottom of this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/252840-ear-problems-maybe-reverse-squeeze.html

He says it has no proven efficacy in the treatment of eustachian tube congestion.

I'm sure Doctormike knows his stuff but I look at it this way. You say you have taken Flonase because it eases clearing for you. So something about using it must be working for you or you wouldn't be doing it. The bottom line would seem to be if it works for you for whatever reason, then why give it up.

BDSC

That's probably true, at least in a direct sense. Very little of anything sprayed or dropped into the nose would make it to the eustachian tubes. My view is that if less garbage is dribbling out of my sinuses and the swelling of the softer tissues has been reduced, then it is less likely that the Eustachian tube opening will be bothered and I will be in good shape.

12 hour sudafed an hour or so before my first dive, take it slow on the way down, clearing every few feet if necessary generally works for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom