The controversial topic - diving with (slightly) congested nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

have you taken madical advice about this? i don't know how things work over there, but if you were in the UK i would be strongly advising you to have a chat to DDRC (diving diseases research centre) or the London Diving Chamber. it's possible you really need to see a dentist, (air expanding in a small cavity), but as it happened when diving you should get yourself checked - the pressure is still there 2 days later.

Hey all,

Good topic. Get this thing-it is really great. I LOVE this thing. It is called Sinus Rinse.
Company is Neilmed.

Longs Drugs and other stores here in the San Francisco Northbay area sell them, and by now you can probably buy them online too. This is not just a saline spray. It is a plastic 1/2 pint squeeze bottle that shoots water with the same principle as clearing a mask. A tube is inside to the bottom of the bottle, so when you gently squeeze it, the water from the bottle (with salt in it) will squirt up into the nostril where you have pressed it with the rounded nose-fitting tip. You put warm water with their pre-measured salt packet in the bottle, and then it sends all that water up one nostril, into the sinuses, at the speed and volume you make by squeezing the bottle. Then it drains out both the other nostril, and also a little bit through the E. tubes into the back of the mouth. Just lean over a sink with your mouth open a little, take a breath, and let out slowly as you rinse. This thing works like a 'neti- pot' does, but more effectively.

This thing has been a lifesaver for me in several areas. Some of you may have these experiences in common, so I'll share.

1. I found I had mild sleep apnea years ago. One of the things they told me to do was get this rinse and keep my nasal passages clear. It helped but didn't cure it. I did NOT want to use one of those air pumps in my sleep, and because I had now been spending time paying attention to my nose, I found that the apnea was really nasally based more than anything else. I did go for ...nasal airflow enhancement surgery, which I'm glad I did, but using that bottle saved me from having to deal with all that pump stuff and helped me understand where the problem really was - in my nose.

2. Allergies. I get hit really hard by cats. If I get around them and feel an allergy attack coming on, one of the things I do is clear out my sinuses. It helps a lot. That is acute stuff. It also helps for regular allergies, using it a couple times a day.

3. Airplanes. I heard this one from a doctor friend and do it ever since. This is awesome. No more headaches, dry nose, and I don't catch colds anymore from flying like I used to. The dry air in planes makes it impossible for our nasal passages to grab foreign materials and sweep them out naturally. (I use drinking water in my bottle if I'm flying in and out of a foreign country, or not sure what's coming out of the faucet). On the plane, every 2 or 3 hours, I just pop into a bathroom and rinse. My head feels way better flying then. I also do it upon landing on the way to baggage.

OK. Afterthoughts. When I have allergies, I actually use two bottles (one after the other) for a really serious rinse. By adding the salt, you get the proper buffering/ph balance so it feels fine and doesn't burn or constrict, like say, water from a lake or swimming pool burns. After you have used this thing about 3 times, it feel wierd anymore. At that point, you can put a pinch of baking soda in a big jar of salt, and skip buying their expensive packets.

Last thing. Don't try to force water into passages that are already closed. Be gentle. But if I've thought I might get that rare cold (I don't get sick that often), then I start rinsing with salt and really warm water prior to my passages getting very congested. It really seems to help shorten and lighten it if it takes hold.

Best of luck!
Peter

I earn my Pirate flag..

I go down and will let the sinus squeeze get the flem out of me.. I may bleed a little but I feel 1000X better afterwards!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom