The cost of scuba equipment and non-diver spouses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I reasearch all my gear purchases extensively, then show my wife how much it could cost and how much I'm buying my gear for. When she sees the difference it usually is a lot easier to digest for her.

I tell my wife she's like the leaky faucet trickling water all year long and I'm more like a water main that breaks every now and then. So at the end it all evens out =)

Wys.

RJP3:
How do you explain/justify/hide what you spend on gear?

If you are spending more then you can afford you spouce has a right to complain. If you are buying expensive gear and you dove only like four time a year spouce has a right to complain. But if you spend within your means for equipment that is used frequently then there is nothing to hide or justify. One would hope this is always the case.

I have a no diver wife, and she never will, no interest in the sport what so ever, when i first started i just got the gear, she wasn't very happy about it, and she is a very smart woman, so she knows how expensive the gear could be, when she notice how happy i was to go back to do something i loved so much and i had left behind for years, she was ok with it, i think i have more stuff that what i really need, and she knows it, one thing that has work for me when she question me about a new toy i mention i got it for safety reasons, that works well, other thing that use to work was bringing home a couple lobsters or crabs home, but now since she is pregnant no more fish for her, so i have to figure out something else, one other think that had helped me is when i first told her yes is lots of money but this gear should last for at least 5 years or more, renting is expensive, i wouldn't say i dive a lot but i do around 60 dives a year, so it justify the expense, but i think what really helped me out is when she realized this activitie made me very, very happy, sometimes i get home before she does from work and when i'm in the computer she smiles, look at me and ask me the same question every time, Scuba Board? my answer is always the same too don't you know by now? she shakes her head and walks away mumbling something i can't never understand, but inside she is very happy for me.

Other thing that helps is getting her that nice bag with the matching shoes.

Our success formula:

$1.00 of gear I want = $2.00 since my son dives and he wants one = $4.00 since my non diving wife gets a "jewlery credit"

So I just go into it with a budget that says $1.00 of my gear = $4.00 out of my pocket.

Maybe its just me, but this whole thread seems pretty depressing on the state of marriage these days (although humorous at times).

I had the "starter wife" - mistakes were made - lessons learned - nothing money related.

My current relationship is built on honesty. Anything less is just unforgiveable in my book; what else matters at that point if you can't trust your partner? Why stick around?

Regardless of income level, we each have mad money we do with whatever we want. Makes lots of small stuff just simply disappear - never an issue. Big stuff is a shared discussion. In the long run, scuba is a passion, but I do try to keep it in perspective that for me it is a hobby, not my job, and remember that I'd be a lot less happy if I went down the divorce road again.

Maybe I just caught a good one the second time at the fishing hole. 10 years and going solid.

Sorry if this sounds preachy. Just hope that others don't find all the sneaking around ways of acquiring gear a yellow brick road. In the long run I kinda doubt how healthy that's going to be.

Safe diving.

As a woman i can say to the person who started this thread, just tell her. It will be worse later on when she finds out, yells at you but then goes out to lunch with her girlfriends, tells them about what you did and then they all dont like you anymore and freely gossip about you.

She loves you, respects you and the passion then she should be ok, unless its the monthly groceries or mortgage then yeah you should be yelled at.

Myself i told my other half they never have to fear me cheating on them or messing around etc but there pretty much screwed when it comes to my diving.
Hence there now going to do there open water cert.

Myself i buy the gear i want, and run in the house like a three year old and must show everyone for the next two weeks, and the other half doesnt mind.
Your wife should be happy as someone said that your spending it on a passion like diving and not strip joints or clubbing nightly with the boys.

Lifes to short and myself, i work to damn many hrs to not do what i love.

Tell her and see what the honest approach gets you.

tracy

I bought all my husband's gear (a birthday surprise), and in return, I've got an awesome dive buddy I trust more than anyone in the world. Love that give and take!! Guess I'm pretty lucky. But, I agree--honesty and working within your budget is the best policy.

My wife is in the know about what I buy, and she's happy that I've finally taken the plunge and am taking the classes. She might even go to one herself now after seeing how happy I am with it, but I doubt she'll like it. She has no love for the water.

So after talking to her and one of our friends (how has been diving a long time and is a DM) she finally hit me with her request after seeing the cost of this sport.

Lets just say I will made out like a banshee the next time we hit Mardi Gras......:11:

-rhyz

As long as the bills are paid and her 'fun money' is stocked...............she doesnt care. The only thing I get is:' do I really have to stay home for UPS?'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom