The cost of scuba equipment and non-diver spouses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just say... "Honey.. this is life support equipment, you don't want me to buy some cheap crap and die down there, do you?"

Unfortunetly her response usually is.. "then don't dive!"

Like the bumper sticker says, if its a choice between her and diving...you'll probably miss her. And you'll probably get over it.

But, semi-honestly, I would limit the amount of information you keep from her. They may find you with all that expensive equipment at the bottom of a deep and dry gully.

Different problem here... My wife doesn't mind at all the money I've spent on her gear and mine. However, we have four kids (ages 6 to 17)... so *time* to get away is the issue (and NO, getting them all certified so they can come trampsing along is NOT an option! -- Besides... there are no bathrooms and no fast-food at 60 feet).

Heck, diving is a huge cost savings compared to my last hobby, so she's thrilled. Racing cars was about $1500-$2000 per race if nothing broke. Instead, with diving I have all this cool stuff that I will keep for years for less than the cost of two races. So, maybe that strategy works, find something way more expensive, then give it up for diving.

Mike

Horses. I bought my wife a horse. Which then became two horses (my daughter had to have one so her and mom could ride together). Then my wife had her horse bred...three horses. Then, of course, horse #2 wasn't appropriate for cross country events; 4 horses. Four horses. Now I won't bring up that revelations thing about the four horseman of the apocalypse (I think I've got your horses guys...) Now one would think that I no longer have to justify my diving finances, and for the most part I don't. Because there is NO money left for dive gear! Air, that's it. Two words: Horse Poor. Be very, very careful when acquiring a distraction...

Hmm, where I get in trouble is, we both work full-time, have a 4 month old. She wants to stay home w/ the kid, but we can't afford for her to even work part-time. But then again, it pisses her off that I can save $$ and go on dive trips.

So in her mind, I'm an ahole :)

As a diver's wife (and recent addition to the sport) I never had a problem with it. I've heard A LOT of women complain about the money spent on dive equipment, fishing equipment, etc. but never once complain when they came home a couple of hundred short from the bar. Guess I'm a little thankful that he spends his money on a passion that he loves rather than bars, strip clubs, etc.... Besides, I'd rather have him buy what he needs and come home safe than to try to skimp and not... I'm kind of partial to him. (grin)

I don't know your wife, but if she accepts you for you and your diving as a part of that, she'll be cool with it.

Good Luck!

DOkie:
As a diver's wife (and recent addition to the sport) I never had a problem with it. I've heard A LOT of women complain about the money spent on dive equipment, fishing equipment, etc. but never once complain when they came home a couple of hundred short from the bar. Guess I'm a little thankful that he spends his money on a passion that he loves rather than bars, strip clubs, etc.... Besides, I'd rather have him buy what he needs and come home safe than to try to skimp and not... I'm kind of partial to him. (grin)

I don't know your wife, but if she accepts you for you and your diving as a part of that, she'll be cool with it.

Good Luck!

Hey Dokie, do you want another husband, just kidding. What I did was I stopped smoking and now the money I save on cigarettes I buy scuba gear. Now she cant complain or I'll start smoking again, ha, ha:D

vladimir:
Yeah, divorce is a cheap alternative.:wink:

:lol: LOL... ya THINK so, huh?

Back
Top Bottom