The cruise ships are back !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twenty years ago I saw three of the biggest barracudas I've ever seen beneath the pier in Cozumel.

Welcoming back cruise ships, just as covid cases in Cozumel are spiking to the point they have to impose curfews and limit shoppers in stores. Brilliant move.

I honestly thought it was a RULE that you can't dive under the piers. @Christi can you say yay or nay? If we can dive them with permission, I'd LOVE to do that! What I saw in our accidental dive was pretty cool!

How brave or reckless does a cruise passenger have to be to go on one of the first barges? I do not trust the cruise lines.

There's a real thin line between bravery and stupidity, and how an action is remembered usually only depends on the outcome. Remember we still have half our countrymen refusing to get vaccinated, and I would bet the venn diagram of those people and cruisers has significant overlap. :shakehead:

Welcoming back cruise ships, just as covid cases in Cozumel are spiking to the point they have to impose curfews and limit shoppers in stores. Brilliant move.

I don't think anyone predicted these two things would be happening at the same time (return of cruisers AND increase in covid cases). And now that the wheels are in motion, what do you do?

The people cruising right now who are over 16 tend to be vaccinated. Even though Adventure of the Seas based in the Bahamas and bypassed CDC authority, Royal Caribbean Inc. has an obvious strong interest in these cruises working out okay. That won't mean zero COVID-19 cases forever, anymore than it means zero flu, norovirus, etc..., cases forever. Here's a post by a guy who just did one of their cruises, and some pieces from that:

"On this sailing there are 1,068 passengers on board, of which 94% are vaccinated, according to a Royal Caribbean representative. The 6% of passengers who are not vaccinated are children not eligible for a vaccine."
"Only passengers who tested negative were allowed to board Adventure of the Seas.

This day-of-boarding COVID-19 testing was the biggest factor in the longer boarding time for the sailing. After initially checking in at the British Colonial Hilton, I was immediately led to a nursing station without a moment of waiting to undergo the test — the kind where a nurse twirls a swab in your nostrils. But I then had to wait more than 30 minutes for the results of the test to come back before continuing on with the boarding process."

"Starting Aug. 1, all passengers age 12 and older will have to show such a vaccine card — a requirement that Royal Caribbean is implementing for many but not all sailings as it restarts operations."

And back home, SARS-CoV-2 continues to spread through the unvaccinated population, so kids can pick it up back home.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Interesting. That seems to be a one off sailing. All the cruise ships (big, blue arrow shapes) are in the Bahamas or eastern Caribbean.

Marine Traffic.jpg

Just read an article on Reuters stating that a federal judge is allowing cruise operations to resume in Florida via preliminary injunction against the CDC order. On July 18th it's game on. Kinda sad since I wanted to visit Cozumel without the ships there just once, but I know it's also a lifeline for a lot of people on the island so I'm happy for them. Bittersweet.

As much as the cruise scene gives me the heebie-jeebies, I am happy for the people that rely on the industry for their livelihoods and the futures of their children. I hope this does not spread more disease to our beloved Cozumel and the awesome people so many have made our families (and vice versa, I might add).

Listen, I know a lot of people here on SB abhor the cruise ships and cruisers but as far as local business and economy goes... its better than cocaine and prostitution. oh wait, that's what cruise ships are all about. nevermind. at least everyone is making money.

el centro is lost on me after the first time there, anyways.

Back
Top Bottom