The cruise ships are back !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

About 75 posts on covid, immunity, vaccine passports, politics, etc. have been split off from this thread and moved here:Covid and cruise ships, politics and immunity Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Royal Carribean Today.

IMAG1988.jpg

I believe we’re not allowed to dive cruise ship piers when a ship is in, but at least in some places can otherwise. I think that’s how it works with the pier in St. Croix.

Greetings from St. Croix @drrich2,

You are correct. At this time (and in the past) we've been allowed to dive the Frederiksted pier when there are no cruise ships in port. You cannot drive onto the pier and unload your gear but you can easily walk around the gates and jump in anywhere along the pier.

It's an amazing dive, so much to see!

Greetings from St. Croix @drrich2,

You are correct. At this time (and in the past) we've been allowed to dive the Frederiksted pier when there are no cruise ships in port. You cannot drive onto the pier and unload your gear but you can easily walk around the gates and jump in anywhere along the pier.

It's an amazing dive, so much to see!
Seems like a cruise ship pier would be a great place to recover cameras, sunglasses, other miscellaneous dropped items.

Seems like a cruise ship pier would be a great place to recover cameras, sunglasses, other miscellaneous dropped items.

I was on the hunt for diamond rings/etc myself but the only thing I found definitely dropped from a cruise ship was a broken pair of sunglasses and a RCL ship pass/card. There is more (large) construction debris in the area than anything else; besides pipes/etc I found a hammer, a screwdriver and discarded construction items like paint cans and such. One sad notable was a large section of carpet that had already melded into the reef/rock, maybe in another 30 years it will have disintegrated completely.

Given enough time left alone the earth always reclaims itself.

So I got a little more information about Cruising from Florida to Mx or wherever. My sister in law is one of those folks who doesn't want to get vaccinated. Without rehashing the details about that, I'll say; Apparently the reality of cruising isn't anything like the news articles said it was.

Point number the first. Despite the governor of FL saying cruise lines can't require the vaccination card, all passengers must be vaccinated. The only exception is children who are too young to be allowed to get a vaccine. I'm not sure how people go about proving they are vaccinated since the vaccine passport is taboo. Exception paperwork must be completed and approved for those that are too young (SIL has a 10 year old child going with her).

2. The cruise will only allow 10% of the ship to be people with exceptions maximum.

And C. Apparently it is quite difficult to get the exception even for those who aren't allowed to be vaccinated like young children.

So.. I think I've changed my opinion on cruising. I'm all about folks going back to BAU after being vaccinated - including cruising to Mexico. I'm not a cruiser but I may consider an airplane trip to Coz soon...

Back
Top Bottom