The cruise ships are back !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somebody check my math, but that would mean that there were approximately 130,000 crew member on board.

Not quite. You'd have to have 5,000 crew on board with 1 unvaccinated to hit 99.98% vaccinated crew. So yeah, they screwed up their math, too. A cursory search indicates that the largest cruise ships usually have about half that much crew.

Not quite. You'd have to have 5,000 crew on board with 1 unvaccinated to hit 99.98% vaccinated crew. So yeah, they screwed up their math, too. A cursory search indicates that the largest cruise ships usually have about half that much crew.

It said there were 26 infected crew members. But I guess it would only take one to spread it and then the other 25 were vaccinated but still tested positive.

Somebody check my math, but that would mean that there were approximately 130,000 crew member on board.:eek:
27 infected divided by 4,000 = 0.0067 = 0.67%

The statement in the article was "99.98 percent of the crew was vaccinated", not that any particular percentage was infected, or that 99.98% of the crew AND passengers were vaccinated. It's just crew.

Let's first assume that there are no partial human beings on the crew, so we are dealing with whole numbers. In order for 99.98% of any whole number to be X, there have to be at least 5,000 of those things because .02% of 5,000 = 1. Since this is a cruise ship and not a United States Navy aircraft carrier, having 5,000 crew on the ship is impossible unless you replaced half the passengers with additional crew. At that point crew would outnumber passengers 2 to 1. Even if they rounded up their calculation from 99.975%, that would require 2,999 crew members which is still about 500 higher than the crew listed for the largest cruise ships in existence. No matter how you slice is, their reporting was erroneous.

This page says that the crew size for the Carnival Vista is 1,450, which means 0.29 crew members were unvaccinated. Damn shame about the other 71% of him.

I mean, I'm not trying to belabor the point, but he did say "check my math". :D And yes, I'm bored.

The day after a hurricane, there is already a cruise ship in port. Amazing.

The statement in the article was "99.98 percent of the crew was vaccinated", not that any particular percentage was infected, or that 99.98% of the crew AND passengers were vaccinated. It's just crew.

Let's first assume that there are no partial human beings on the crew, so we are dealing with whole numbers. In order for 99.98% of any whole number to be X, there have to be at least 5,000 of those things because .02% of 5,000 = 1.

My guess is that the 99.98% vaccinated crew number is based on all Carnival crew members, not on this one ship (25 ships, about 1100 crew per ship =~ 27500 humans, =~ 5 unvaccinated crew, company-wide).

Since I doubt that I will ever set foot on a cruise ship, it's not like I really care. :)

The Odyssey of the Seas is in port today; it's one of the largest cruise ships in existence. If there enough cruisers to fill that boat I'd say the cruise industry is well on its way to recovery.

Back
Top Bottom