The curious case of AI. Do you use a back up SPG while using AI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I use AI I always have a backup SPG. I have had frequent dead batteries in AI transmitters. Accidentally leave it pressurized for a day or two = dead battery = dammit no AI.

On doubles I run the transmitter and SPG on different posts.

I run both, I run the spg on a shorter hose than the inflator right next to inflator. It is out of the way, streamlined, but available if I need it. I have had battery failures on the AI in the past and the spg saved the dive. It takes a second to configure it at the beginning of the dive day so I don't mind leaving it there. My pony is using a spg but will be upgraded to AI only. I really don't like spg hoses clipped off to waist d-rings or looped around to chest.

Sometimes the air integration fails.
What kind of computer/transmitter/failure?

have had a transmitter fail, once, in a cave. The OPV blew, shearwater replaced in free of charge in 5 days including shipping.

Just curious, was it a swift or the older model? I had that happen with a swift a few weeks ago...

Just curious, was it a swift or the older model? I had that happen with a swift a few weeks ago...
I've never heard of it happening on the older model, only on the Swift.

I fall into the 'belt and suspenders' camp and use AI and a backup SPG on my rec rig. I consider myself a new diver after 7 years and ~500 dives, and though I've never had trouble with my AI, I have had my SPG 'fail' on 2 occasions (leaking at the gauge). This thread is giving me food for thought; great post.

SPG all the way.

I prefer not to rely on wireless technology underwater but I will grant it has become more reliable.

I am reluctant to invest the money in a primary and backup AI system.

After 30 years, I have a pretty good handle on gas consumption and verifying my SPG is second nature.

No judgment on anyone else's personal preferences.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom