The Dark Side :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lundysd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have officially begun my inevitable downward spiral to the dark side :D After a year of diving my trusty Ranger, I finally took the plunge and ordered a BP/W setup. Primarily, this was because I wanted a rig that I could grow with, transition to doubles with, and travel (lightly) with, and the Ranger just didn't do that. Don't get me wrong; I am immensely pleased with the Ranger as a rec BC, but if just doesn't provide the flexibility of a backplate and harness.

I did things a little differently than most and put this rig together a la carte. Normally this would mean that I'd pay an arm and a leg, but I ended up paying right around $500 for everything brand new (smokin deals to say the least). In the end it looks something like this

--Halcyon SS backplate and harness -- I was skeptical about the one-piece hog harness being difficult for entry/exit, but my fears were unfounded, and I am very thankful I didn't get a comfort harness now
--Oxycheq Mach V wing -- This wing really is, in my humble opinion, a fantastic singles wing. Low profile, rugged construction, 360 zipper, patchable bladder, etc...
--Halcyon STA -- Standard STA here, nothing unique (the STA/No STA argument
Halcyon SS cam buckles -- an extra $70 but WELL worth the investment

Needless to say, I'm very pleased. I was a little worried on the first dive about getting used to the trim/buoyancy characteristics, but I never felt out of control or unable to trim out.

For those of you thinking of switching (or even buying a BP/W for a first rig), I would highly recommend giving it some thought and trying as many configurations as you can before you buy. Though I don't regret going back inflate first, it certainly is the more expensive route.

starwars.gif
Complete your journey to the Dark Side here:
ScubaBoard > Scuba Diving Central > Technical Diving Specialties > DIR.

Nice job. That looks like a fantastic rig. You did good getting the SS buckles, too. You'll get addicted to the nice little snap they make.

You might want to add some inner tube the the corrugated hose on the Mach V.

How about your reg... what's the plan?

El Orans:
starwars.gif
Complete your journey to the Dark Side here:
ScubaBoard > Scuba Diving Central > Technical Diving Specialties > DIR.
Why did DIR invent bp/wings? No, I don't think so. More like someone wearing bp/wings invented DIR meanwhile tons of non-DIR folks going round with the stigma because we dive BP/Wings. I have been tempted to strap on a spare air just so no one makes makes the mistake again:D
Sorry, just had to get that out...

Not to troll or burst your bubble, but why are you so excited about the Halcyon SS buckles? If they are the same ones on my Eclipse setup, they dig horribly into your tank when wrenching down on them. They took the galvanized finish off of my steal tanks so they rust now where the buckles rounded edge pivots on the tank. Dug into the aluminum 80 of mine taking paint off and causing corrosion too. I would trade mine for a set of dive right straps with the rubber protector any day. Again, not trying to troll, just want your opinion on why they are so good. I can get you a picture of my aluminum tank with the mesh protector on and what the straps did to it, but the steel 120s are getting filled right now. I think mine are called the "octo grip" straps.

-=ben

Ben,

Sorry to hear that. My Octogrip straps are wrapped such that the metallic buckle doesn't even touch the tank. I have the strap looped through the D-ring and following the 1-2-3 instructions on the belt, and I've had no problems at all (that snap sure is a satisfying sound :)). Anyone else have experience with this?

I've got the Halcyon adapter with the steel buckles. They make me feel evil.

Ben's right... they'll mark your tank, for sure. Mine are all that way. I suppose if keeping your tanks looking nice is important to you then you might not want to use 'em. I don't use mesh, either, but I imagine they would eat right through that stuff. Oh... corrosion isn't an issue with Al tanks and I would GUESS that hot dipped galvanized should be OK, but I don't use those for singles so I don't know.

bjpell:
why are you so excited about the Halcyon SS buckles? If they are the same ones on my Eclipse setup, they dig horribly into your tank when wrenching down on them.
-=ben

Funny, I thought this only happened to me. My rig is a mix/match of OMS and DR, with DR cambands with their nice rubber protector...my girlfriend recently borrowed a Pioneer rig and we noticed the same tank gouging problem. Wonder if any tanks have failed VIP because of this?

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom