The DIR hose length note

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freeflyer

Reaction score
OK, decided to try the DIR hose setup and see what it's like. Need a 5' hose (single tank on a bc) and a short secondary hose, but I've been trying to get the gauge hose length sorted and 26" seems really short.

I have a 36" hose from my current secondary which I'm using just to guess the lengths, an it seems to be the right length from where the 1st stage would be, down to where the gauge would clip to the d ring on my zeagle ranger (left hip). The 26" seems way too short, any comments on this.

I'm 5'11", so not an unusual height.

Freeflyer:
OK, decided to try the DIR hose setup and see what it's like. Need a 5' hose (single tank on a bc) and a short secondary hose, but I've been trying to get the gauge hose length sorted and 26" seems really short.

I have a 36" hose from my current secondary which I'm using just to guess the lengths, an it seems to be the right length from where the 1st stage would be, down to where the gauge would clip to the d ring on my zeagle ranger (left hip). The 26" seems way too short, any comments on this.

I'm 5'11", so not an unusual height.

Sounds like you have a mixup. Second reg to left hip D ring? This is where you hook your SPG. Unless you have an unusually long torso( I am 6'2) a 26 inch HP hose for your SPG is more than enough. I use 24 inch in single and doubles. If you are indeed talking about your secondary reg, this is necklaced around your neck and you use a 22 inch hose.

which is slightly short for me with a single, but is fine with doubles.

A 24" for a single tank should be just about right.

I started out with a 24". I could use it but my DIR-F instructor said I looked like a T-Rex reading my SPG. He recommended a longer hose. I switched back to a 32" hose I already had. Worked fine but seemed a little long. I found a 26" that I've dove twice. It still seems a bit short. It just allows me to clip to the hip D-ring but I still have that T-rex thing going on when I read the gauge. This is on a single tank.

I have a 5' hose for singles diving and I think 7' would be much, much better.

In any case, I need a new HP hose too.. let us know what you decide :wink:

Ok, sorry... didn't want to start a new thread. I'm 5'6" and my DIR friends helped me set up my current rig. I'm running a 6' primary. Is it all right to tuck the hose into my waist belt? Or tuck it under my knife sheath? Or should I just go for the standard 5' hose? I found that it flapped around a bit too much since it wasn't tucked under anything. What's the DIR stand on a 6' for singles tucked under either the waist belt, knife sheath, or waist pocket? Thanks!

...yes. Stuffing a hose is common practice when you don't have a cannister light to secure it. Just be sure not to kink it. Securing the hose with a knife sheath is an option, but it isn't as secure as a cannister light and you'll probably end up stuffing the hose anyway.

jplacson:
Ok, sorry... didn't want to start a new thread. I'm 5'6" and my DIR friends helped me set up my current rig. I'm running a 6' primary. Is it all right to tuck the hose into my waist belt? Or tuck it under my knife sheath? Or should I just go for the standard 5' hose? I found that it flapped around a bit too much since it wasn't tucked under anything. What's the DIR stand on a 6' for singles tucked under either the waist belt, knife sheath, or waist pocket? Thanks!

I always recommend the 7 ft hose for DIR configurations. The 5 foot hose will work for some individuals but if its too long, it's not long enough to run under a light canister or the waist strap and the extra hose usually ends up riding up above your head. The 6 foot hose is usually worse in this case, always too long to stay in place, but seldom long enough to control. You end up with a huge loop of hose above your head.

The 7 foot is the way to go. The hose is run between the light canister and the body and then across the chest and around the neck. If your "current" configuration lacks a light canister then the excess hose can be formed into a loop and run under the waist strap or pocket where the canister would normally be. The knife should be located to the left of the crotch strap.

The 7 foot works as well for single tanks as it does for doubles.

Enjoy

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com
www.sdue.org

Oh trust me, the 7' is waaaayyy too long for me!!! :p The 6' hose is long enough to tuck under a light canister and still enough to wrap loosely around my head. The 5' hose would've been enough for me, but my friends said that it's a bit too short for OOA sharing.

Not if you tuck it under the waist strap. I know people just over 5'-0", short torso and they use the 7 ft hose. It works great for them. Make sure when you tuck the hose that you can turn your head to the left with the reg in your mouth or it is too short.

jplacson:
Oh trust me, the 7' is waaaayyy too long for me!!! :p The 6' hose is long enough to tuck under a light canister and still enough to wrap loosely around my head. The 5' hose would've been enough for me, but my friends said that it's a bit too short for OOA sharing.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom