The DIR hose length note

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read in another thread where some divers actually use a slightly longer or shorter hose.

I'm really short, only about 5'5". Diving singles now, but do plan on eventually moving over to doubles. Should I go with a 7' primary, or should I go a little shorter?

I got the 5' and wish I had gotten the 7'. I'm a bit bigger than you, but most people seem happier with the 7' since it's usually more easily stowed.

grunzster:
I read in another thread where some divers actually use a slightly longer or shorter hose.

I'm really short, only about 5'5". Diving singles now, but do plan on eventually moving over to doubles. Should I go with a 7' primary, or should I go a little shorter?

I've tried both a 7 and a 5. Hated the five, it's just not long enough to roughted properly, but I'm pretty big in the chest and sholders.

grunzster:

5' 5" might be short for a guy, but it's not that short for a girl. I use a 5' hose on my single rig and really like it. On my doubles rig, I've used both a 7' and 5'. Hated the 7', but part of the problem was it kept floating above my head and never seemed to stay tucked in my harness. You could try a 6' hose. Fifth D has them. If you are not currently diving any overhead environments the 7' hose is not a must-have, in my opinion.

grunzster:

Uh, OK - back to Scuba.

I'm 5'7 (sometimes 5'8... something like that) and the 7' is what I use on my single. I dive the E8130 water heater, and use a canister light - so its perfect for me and stays out of the way.

Before the can light I used (and still do) the ACB and it kept the long hose managable. If you have neither, the fiver may be a better choice for you.

What else pushed it was my current choice of Dive Buddies - I simply don't want to be that close to Arnaud if we're ever OOA.

:D :D :D

K

I am 5'5 and use the 7' hose with both singles and doubles and I have no problem keeping it tucked in my harness when diving without my canister light.

Also something you want to think about is the height of your buddy, cuz if you are exiting a wreck or another overhead and donating air via the long hose to your buddy the hose has to reach from your buddy's mouth, down the length of his/her body and then to your tank valve, so in that case I wouldn't dive with anything shoter than 7'.

Wendy:
Also something you want to think about is the height of your buddy, cuz if you are exiting a wreck or another overhead and donating air via the long hose to your buddy the hose has to reach from your buddy's mouth, down the length of his/her body and then to your tank valve, so in that case I wouldn't dive with anything shoter than 7'.

So Shaq, for example, would dive with a nine footer?

:D

K

I began diving with the 7' hose but switched to a 6' hose. While managable, the 7' hose would either have excess hose around my head or behind my light. The 6' hose fits perfectly with no excess hose in either location and since I am not diving in restricted environments and do not need the required 7' length I prefer to use the 6' hose.

Jonathan

Looks like it may come down to a coin toss between 6 and 7!

I'm not doing overhead now, bit probably will in the future. And also will go to doubles probably within the next year. I have a few buddies who are pretty tall too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom