The end of This Year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just trying to pencil in a schd. to do the TDI Adv. Wreck program, will plan 7 days to complete based on weather.

Although serious diving begins March - April, if you need weather and need to take a chance on a long trip, July is your best bet. Lake Michigan at least tends to lay down then for a couple weeks. I'm sure the other lakes do too. Bear in mind Mother nature does what she wants. If she wants to kick up a fuss she will in a heart beat!

OK----so when would most agree that active Great Lakes diving begins again?

Great Lakes Diving starts in, March, April or May. Depending on when the ice is gone and the docks are put in.

I agree...We were mooring wrecks in Sanilac April 18th this year...

I did a bunch of shore diving in my local area and in Door county.

I used to live in Door County. That was before I got into scuba diving. What do you recommend up there for diving? Next summer I would like to take a trip back and due some diving. (Maybe I can drag some local friends up there as well! :wink:) I used to live just up from "mud puppy point" off of Duluth. I know their used to be some dives around there.

For wreck diving contact Captain Kathy at Dive Diva Charters - Gills Rock, WI. She charters out of Gills Rock. Google E.R. Williams, Roen Barge, Roen tug, Frank O'conner, Ocean Wave and Daniel Lyons to come up with some of the wrecks she goes to. You can do these with your own boat too of course. Beware however, as Door county has lot's of surprise shoals and reefs, so a good chart and nav skills are required.
For Shore diving Green Bay scuba used to have a great Door county shore diving guide. They have changed hands now so I do not know if they still offer it. My favorites though are Porcupine Bay. That's just north of Sister Bay at the end of Porcupine Bay road. The Fleetwing up in Gills Rock and Moonlight Bay just north of Baileys harbor. Cave point south of Jacksonport is cool to if you hit it on the right day.

jim

Some great dives, but, what, no New Years Day dive!?

Ken

Well Friends, I think for this year I'm hanging up the Drysuit. This year for me has been a really great year. I have been able to meet some great people Through Scubaboard to dive with. So to finish out this year I will list some of the places I dove this year and I want to hear the places you dove this year. Maybe give me some ideas for when I take the Drysuit off the hanger for next year..

Gilboa 2x
Whitstar 1x
Port sanilac 2x
wrecks I dove in port sanilac this year

Regina 2x
Northstar 2x
MaryAlice B. 1x

Thunder Bay preserve

Wrecks I dove in Thunder Bay
E.B. Allen
Grecian- Stern
Oscar T Flint.

Plus a few local lake dives

I wanted to get in more, but all in all a great dive season, and great posse I hang with, made it a really good dive season for me

Be Safe and see you in the water next spring. Unless I take a warm weather water trip sometime this winter:D

so tell me where you dove this year.

I had the privilege of diving with Ken and our Wright State group at Gilboa last Saturday. Visibility was as good as I've seen there but then again we pretty much had the place to ourselves. The surface interval was a little chilly for us poor old wetsuit divers but it was still a great day. We have one more Gilboa trip scheduled in several weeks but after that I think my diving will be confined to the Newport Aquarium and sites south of the U.S. border until the spring. You Gilboa New Year's Day divers have my admiration but I'm thinking that sounds just too cold for me!

woahh, gilboa? College aged (wright state) divers? how have i not heard about this?

woahh, gilboa? College aged (wright state) divers? how have i not heard about this?

The Wright State scuba program, which is run by Ber Rabbit, uses Gilboa alot. They have groups there on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom