The fear of "whats in the water"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This question comes up from time to time, and we always get the same well-meaning answers, but the truth is some people gets the creeps under water and some do not. The people who don’t experience it will not understand it. The problem you are talking about has nothing to do with rational fears like sharks or entanglements. It is simply the creeps. It seems to be much worse in low vis situations. Under piers and under boats are common places to get the creeps. A lot of diving experience will help, but it may not completely go away.

Every time I get in the water I fear seeing only one thing:

crea01.jpg

Thank God I haven't seen him yet, but if I do I just hope that my dive buddy is a slower swimmer than I am.

Well im new to scuba and as some of you know i have signed up for my cert class starting on nov 17th.

I only really have 1 fear. (well its not really a fear)

I call it the fear of "whats in the water". I mean i cant really explain it but i know live in florida and know that all i gotta really worry about is probably sharks. But i just sometimes stand at the pier that everyone fishes at and think "what the hells under this pier?" Then again i get scared to think about just jumping into that water with scuba gear on and looking. (not to say i would actually be doing scuba there) just a thought.

I know thereis probably tons of rods and reels down there and tons of stuff down there..

BUt i feel like scared of whats in the water.. Maybee cause its the bay and it seems dark and merkey? I have no idea.. Can someone enlighten me on their view of this.

Thanks ahead.. C rock

Has any scuba diver in Florida actually been bitten by a shark ever? I cannot recall such a story.

I do know that snorkelers in Australia have been eaten whole. But not anywhere else on this Earth, that I have heard of. And Australia's sharks are quite big, same as in South Africa or California. But I would think you are quite safe in Florida waters as a scuba diver.

Try not to splash on the surface, and then you should not attract any.

And minimize your surface swimming, and then the sharks would not even know you are there most likely. Underwater a scuba diver is just another sea animal, whereas sharks instinctually search the surface not underwater for their food.

Every time I get in the water I fear seeing only one thing:

crea01.jpg

Thank God I haven't seen him yet, but if I do I just hope that my dive buddy is a slower swimmer than I am.

That looks like someone I once woke up next too after drinking too much in a bar one night. I had to gnaw off my arm to get away. Fortunately for me it grew back.

This question comes up from time to time, and we always get the same well-meaning answers, but the truth is some people gets the creeps under water and some do not. The people who don’t experience it will not understand it. The problem you are talking about has nothing to do with rational fears like sharks or entanglements. It is simply the creeps. It seems to be much worse in low vis situations. Under piers and under boats are common places to get the creeps. A lot of diving experience will help, but it may not completely go away.

There are prescriptions available to treat this. They make you feel really happy too. No creeping out when you take them. I tried one of my girlfriends' and it felt good all day long.

Assuming you're not swimming around with a wounded, bleeding fish on a stick (spear fishing), and don't touch or corner anything, you'll be fine.

Nothing will bother you unless you look or smell like it's food, or you really **ss it off, corner it or confuse it (like wiggling your finger in front of an eel).

Terry

Exactly right!

I LOVE diving, but, I get the creeps a lot. I guess living in Texas makes it worse since I constantly dive in low-vis situations. I have stupid stuff freak me out all the time. I'll be swimming along just fine when all of a sudden "FRACK, what IS that!!! .... oh a stump :/" I even get the creeps, as the OP said, just looking into the water. I'm not sure what my problem is. I think it arose from watching too many scary movies as a kid :) I don't think I'll ever completely get over it... To the OP, you're not alone :)

Before I made my first certification dive I felt the same as the OP. I grew up in Illinois, watched Jaws and 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, and was absolutely certain that I would be eaten the minute I set foot in an ocean. That first dive, in Bali, made me instantly forget about monsters of the deep. It's a fantastic world down there!
First time I ever saw an ocean was in Florida when I was 21 or 22. I was swimming off the beach and suddenly saw fins all around me. I am nearsighted and wasn't wearing my glasses, so I assumed I was gonna be eaten. I instantly levitated and ran back to the beach across the surface of the water all the while hollering incoherently. They were dolphins, according to my friends. After a quick diaper change, I was ready to go back in.
To the OP; you'll love it!

Phil

The last dives I did were in a carp fishery recovering poles. The viz was absolutely zero and my biggest fear was coming across a turd.

Fortunately I didn't find any but I did bump into a car, took me a while to figure out what it was but then I felt a wheel and tyre and guessed the rest.

Back
Top Bottom