The Fine Art of Decompression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seajay,
Warning, this is not a dive plan:
ean 36 14 minutes deco
ean 32 22 minutes deco
air 60 minutes deco

details omitted intentionally.

100 days a year:

Perhaps I did not word my first post strongly enough. I will not be doing this dive. I do not want to do this dive. You are correct, no one should do this dive or any other dive that is outside of their known abilities without the right training. In no way am I representing that this dive is safe. I want to live long enough to collect social security, etc.

Wetlettuce:

Pleasse recheck that calculation, I think the ppO2 @85 feet for ean 36 is 1.29. (And forgive me if I am wrong).

SeaJay, if you are committed to DIR (and you seem to be) then you should learn this stuff through GUE (I think you know that). I HIGHLY recommend the RecTriox class before you take Tech 1.

I know that it's been discussed on this board before, and it seems that a lot of people don't take the class seriously. Who wants to spend all that time and money to get certified to get hyperoxic mix fills, if you can get them near you, right? But RecTriox is not just like your OW Nitrox class where you do a couple of math problems, breathe in, breathe out, and get a card for helium. In purpose the course is very much like what others say the IANTD and TDI deco or advanced nitrox courses are good for; it may not certify you to dive deep, but it will teach you the next level of basic skills, like diving doubles, more air sharing drills, scenarios, problem solving, etc. It should cover the failure modes of a manifold, DIR-style. If fundamentals is the fundamental skills of all diving, RecTriox covers many of the fundamental skills of decompression diving, the DIR way. It is actually much of the material from the first days of a Tech 1, and by doing it in advance you will be better prepared and able to get more from the Tech 1 than if you do it directly.

I haven't taken it, as it wasn't available before I did my Tech, but I would definitely do it if I was going that route right now. I think you're also right to consider taking Fundamentals again. Whatever you do, take the steps slowly. There's too many people rushing through everything to become tech divers. If you're DIR realize that you need to put in the time at this level before going on to the next. I think you know that already, though.

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate that.

I didn't even know there was such thing as RecTriox. How very cool!

...So this is a class aimed at the 100' to 150' level, but with Triox?

I'm not sure where I'm going to find a class like that, but certainly my DIR-F instructor will know.

Probably around the springs somewhere... Which is what... Four hours from me?

Cool. :D

SeaJay once bubbled...

Pfffttt... Isn't that the truth! :D

I'm still crispy from the last discussion. Someone said, "What's GUE say about ______?" and I replied, "Hey, I just learned that. They say, '_____'." And I was completely attacked! They didn't agree with the GUE message, and so they strung me up, calling me an "egoist." My gosh! Hey, guys... I didn't write this stuff!

Today I'm nursing my wounds with some Solarcaine. I was just hoping that I could ask this question without going up in smoke again!

It's looking good... :crispy:

Are you refering to the UWEX discussion?

If so, there was a bit more to the story than just that.

SeaJay once bubbled...
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate that.

I didn't even know there was such thing as RecTriox. How very cool!

...So this is a class aimed at the 100' to 150' level, but with Triox?

I'm not sure where I'm going to find a class like that, but certainly my DIR-F instructor will know.

Probably around the springs somewhere... Which is what... Four hours from me?

Cool. :D
Just another point.
If your thinking $1400 for a light is just way out of control, be sure to read up on the cost of mix. It aint so rec.

Dave:D

Is triox the same thingas normoxic trimix? In other words, trimix with O2 of 21% or more. From what I have heard it is wonderful stuff. Too bad helium is costly and not available everywhere.

leadweight once bubbled...
Is triox the same thingas normoxic trimix? In other words, trimix with O2 of 21% or more. From what I have heard it is wonderful stuff. Too bad helium is costly and not available everywhere.
As mentioned above, its 30% O2, 30% He.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom