The General Angst Over the PADI eLearning Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know bfw, that first sentence is the most over-the-top, bull**it statement I have ever heard. It has NOTHING to do with RJR and cigarettes.

SOMEBODY is logic AND reading comprehension challenged. My first sentence never mentioned RJR. My first sentence was "So, economic success is moral justification?" which boiled down your sentence:

"The continuation of the argument that PADI is the root of all evil in scuba completely misses the point that more stores, instructors, and CONSUMERS choose PADI than any other certification agency."

to its essence. If PADI's financial success has ANY probative bearing on whether their actions are ethically or morally justified, then the same reasoning applies to all businesses, including tobacco, gambling, prostitution, the illicit drug trade, and sub-prime mortgages. As for casualty rates, it's not a numbers game. If even one person is killed, with no other benefit than PADI's profit, then your comparison is a distinction without a difference. We are left then, with the fact that most financial success in this society results from screwing someone, so, if anything, PADI's financial success militates AGAINST the morality of their methods.

Diving is the difference between having a C-Card and being a diver! Nothing replaces experience and the modular concept is just one more tool! Some will never move beyond OWC or an occasional rec diver, but if that first taste inspires them to become active divers the process is there to make them as good as they want to be!

Except that the changes are attracting more of the "dive once and never agains" than those who will actually sustain components of the industry other than certifying agencies. PADI's own marketing research bears this out.

As so called professionals ...I can't believe how unprofessional so many are whining about "all that is wrong" and a "glass that is half empty"

Actually, most are NOT professionals; most of those making these observations have day jobs, and thus no vested financial interest in drinking the "essential change" kool-aid. So, the question is, who is more credible, the naysayers who have nothing to gain, or the lemmings who stand to profit from marching off the cliff? The emperor isn't wearing any clothes.

I very highly doubt that elearning will ever open up to independents.It is a benefit of being in the business full time with a store to support.

Which it's in their best interest to promote, because the mercenaries don't dissent from the party line - they won't risk their livelihoods.

Another way of freezing the independent out and forcing them to affiliate. Or is it assimilate.

But hey, the Borg ARE successful.

As long as the trains run on time, eh, Phil?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom