The Godfather has passed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Maybe not known by many on this board but the most influential person in the history of Cozumel passed away yesterday June 17th. Don Nassim (Joaquin) was near 100 years old and most of the island is either mourning or worried.

Don Nassim or his descendants own, the Cozumeleno Resort, The Playa Azul, the golf course, most gas stations, most taxis Mr. Sanchos and lord only knows what else. Two have been Governors of the State and it has long been rumored that nothing of importance could be done in Cozumel if he was against it. With my 25 years here, I do believe that.

If you are on the island you may notice black flag processions and some disruptions near the big church or main cemetery. Oddly enough that cemetery entrance now has two big Black awnings with Sol Beer logos!

I just thought you might want to know.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

"...it has long been rumored that nothing of importance could be done in Cozumel if he was against it."

Which leads me to wonder what he was against, and what having him out of the way will mean for Cozumel. Answers won't be forthcoming in this life, but when a major mover & shaker type leaves an organization, there can be a major cultural change. At his age he may not've been as active/influential as in the past (How many people in their 90's are still mentally sharp? Some, but how many?), but when you said most of the island is either mourning or worried...you got me thinking, worried about what?

Richard.

Thanks Dave. That news does make one think about just what his descendants / heirs may think is best for their future.

First off, as of last week he was still mentally sharp and holding meetings at his corner drug store at the square…along with two nurses. His entourage would vary from day to day but usually included those of power. He has been a fixture there for many, many years.

People always worry about change.

Dave

Well, today the Black Sol Beer awnings are gone but just inside the gate is the biggest pile of flowers I have ever seen.

Dave

Yay. Uber coming to Cozumel!

Yay. Uber coming to Cozumel!
Two snippets that caught my eye

1) From Dave's original post: "Don Nassim or his descendants own, the Cozumeleno Resort, The Playa Azul, the golf course, most gas stations, most taxis Mr. Sanchos and lord only knows what else."

2) From the Yucatan times article : "His son Pedro Joaquin Coldwell was the first governor of Quintana Roo in 1981; in 2005 his daughter Addy Joaquin Coldwell ran for governor of the State; and this year another of his sons, Carlos Joaquin González, will be the head of the state government starting on September 25th."

It sounds that the family is still in control of the state government so I do not expect a drastic change.

Two snippets that caught my eye

1) From Dave's original post: "Don Nassim or his descendants own, the Cozumeleno Resort, The Playa Azul, the golf course, most gas stations, most taxis Mr. Sanchos and lord only knows what else."

2) From the Yucatan times article : "His son Pedro Joaquin Coldwell was the first governor of Quintana Roo in 1981; in 2005 his daughter Addy Joaquin Coldwell ran for governor of the State; and this year another of his sons, Carlos Joaquin González, will be the head of the state government starting on September 25th."

It sounds that the family is still in control of the state government so I do not expect a drastic change.

You think? Believe me I know. Just a sarcastic prod. A statement of puerile optimism in a messed up world.

What an utterly distasteful post.

"Yay?" The man just died, the family is in mourning, and you post "Yay?" Shame on you!

Just how well did you "know" Nassim Joaquin Ibarra to be able to pass your judgment on him and his family? I'll bet you never spoke to the man face to face in your life.

And Gopbroek, if you knew anything about Q. Roo politics you would know that your statement of "his family is still (my italics) in charge of the state government" glosses over the past four decades since his son Pedro was governor while other factions held the office during that interval.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom