The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As my thread got crammed into this large one, that really wasn't my intention of the thread at all. I wasn't planning on debating why I would rather buy online as much as I was 'ranting' about how the LDS's here in Oklahoma are killing their business from me, and likely several others, when they mark-up their prices outrageously and expect me to buy it with a smile. More like a monopoly here in OKC if you ask me. :wink:

outlawaggie:
I will supoort my LDS for 5% more but that's it. If the LDS doesn't make too bad. To save 30% to 100% (in some cases) I will ALWAYS buy online. As far as the "who will fill our tanks" crap I assure you someone will step in and fill the need that is created for air fills, travel, etc.

Allllllrighty then! Good luck in your future diving endeavours.

I keep following the support your LDS, don't buy online arguement. Yet of the shops I've visited here in Houston I have not been impressed AT ALL. One shop I went to slammed Aeris and said to buy Genesis (they sold Genesis) Only to find out that they are made by the same company (Pelagic). Secondly the reg I've been looking at is almost TWICE as expensive from the LDS than from ScubaToys (An AUTHORIZED DEALER I might add)

So here is my question....What shops should I check out here in Houston???

A problem I have seen is differential pricing, how else can you explain how online can offer an item for less than my LDS PAYS for it? (I work there, so I see dealer cost.) It's the manufacturers fault. I don't know where the online places get their stock, but I sure would love to find out!

PhotoTJ:
A problem I have seen is differential pricing, how else can you explain how online can offer an item for less than my LDS PAYS for it? (I work there, so I see dealer cost.) It's the manufacturers fault. I don't know where the online places get their stock, but I sure would love to find out!

I get my stuff where any LDS gets it... the manufacturer. Perhaps sometimes I get buys that are better than the local dealer, but most times it's about the same price. I will make sure I take advantage of any specials they are running, and stock up when they are offering incentives. The main difference in the price though is really based on sales volume. We go through approx 100 tanks a week. At that volume, it's ok if we don't make $80 on a tank... So really the idea is, we lose money on each sale buy make it up in volume. :wink:

scubatoys:
I get my stuff where any LDS gets it... the manufacturer. Perhaps sometimes I get buys that are better than the local dealer, but most times it's about the same price. I will make sure I take advantage of any specials they are running, and stock up when they are offering incentives. The main difference in the price though is really based on sales volume. We go through approx 100 tanks a week. At that volume, it's ok if we don't make $80 on a tank... So really the idea is, we lose money on each sale buy make it up in volume. :wink:

Who makes $80 a tank. When I was buying them an al 80 cost me about $100 before shipping and you were lucky if you could get $ 140 and that was with a vis and a fill.

String:
The stock they do have is very cheap and worth buying. However i know of people that gave up after 7 months waiting for semi-dry suits,

some of us are still fit enough to fit into an off the peg medium :wink:

but only if I hold my beer belly in!

Again...another thread on this topic.

Like I have said before in other threads. I only buy NON-LIFE SUPPORTING equipment online...wet suits, fins, other items. I will NOT buy a reg, bc, or dive computer/gauges online...just too many unknowns regarding warranties, servicing and the odd thing with grey market items.

Buyer beware and take your time checking things out before you buy. Dive equipment is not like shopping at the grocery store. It pays to take your time and it pays to be patient for quality.

Just my 02.

Although we live in Austin, my wife and I consider any shop within a 3 hour drive to be local. Especially shops with multi-colored signs located on the I35E service road in Carrollton.

scubatoys:
I get my stuff where any LDS gets it... the manufacturer. Perhaps sometimes I get buys that are better than the local dealer, but most times it's about the same price.

Maybe Mike can weigh in on this but from what i understand, LDS's have agreements with most manufacturers which limit how low they can sell products. Otherwise they lose the line. Mike?

If true, it ain't a level playing field.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom