The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Sal

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm based in the UK and am trying to find a decent website that will allow me to buy diving equipment online, or at least by mail order relatively quickly.

I usually use a local dive shop but the time it takes for them to get things in is sometimes a bit longer than I'd like.

I'm particularly interested in shorty boots, slippers whatever you may call them and am not having much luck in finding a UK based site that will sell over the internet. Another area which I'm having little luck in is finding somewhere that sells O'Neill swimming suits.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Scuba Sal

Heya Scuba Sal,

When you mentioned "O'Neill Swimsuits" were you refering to wetsuits or actually shorts, shirts, etc ?

One place to look for that regular line is to also try Surf Shops.

Here is the link to O'Neill of Europe

For scuba sites based in the UK try Here, Here or Here...

Let me know if you need more help and I will see what I can do.

=-)

Hi,
If you still haven't bought you gear, check out Leisure Pro on line.
I have to give them a "thumbs up" on prices. Everything was also received in a timely manner, and in perfect condition.
Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I've had a quick scan at the sites and they look promising!!

I shall soon be shopping like there's no tomorrow!!!

Scuba Sal :wink:

Hello,

I'm new here so forgive me if this topic has been beat to death. I didn't want to start a new thread, because the topic relates to this post. I noticed that there were almost 400 views of this thread, so I know the interest is out there. I'd like to hear from folks that have ordered from places like Divers Discount Supply and Leisure Pro. Their prices are very tempting, but I'd like to know about the availability and reliability of the name brand items. I'd like to know how the customer service is if you do have a problem with things like regulators and BC's. I realize the benefits of using a local dive shop, but I'd like to hear from people pro or con concerning these internet businesses.

Thanks,

KZ

There are pros and cons to buying from the internet a obious pro is pricing, yes you can get wat you want for a price that is unbeatable by your local diveshop. But one of the cons are that when it comes down to servicing the internet may not be the place to look. Keep your diveshop in mind when buying over the net, is your diveshop able to service your equipment you purchase from the net?

Watch online auctions you may be buying someone's junk equipment. It may cost more to get the equipment ready for safe diving than what it costs for new equipment.

Happy diving

Surfh20 - Thanks for the comments! Come on folks 400 + views and only 7 replies? Someone out there has got to have an opinion.

I spoke to my local shop today and they're combating the internet by not servicing anything that was not bought from their store (even though they'd be a dealer). I think what I'll do is buy some items such as a wet suit and accessories on line and then get the things that need to be serviced regularly from my shop. Therefore we're both happy.

KZ

call me an old fuddy-duddy but i like to see, lift, feel and otherwise have a good look at a piece of equipment before i buy. That means, the local mom & pop dive store that's been on the corner since 1970whatever. I've purchased many a thing by mail order but i'm always more satisfied when buying in person.

Hi there,

I've found that the internet is a great source of looking at the options available when buying some new kit. I was looking for a wet suit went on the internet found the one I wanted then talked to my dive shop.
They ordered me one with no obligation to buy if it didn't fit. The price was the same as the internet price.

The only draw back was I had to wait quite a while (2 months) for the suit to be delivered to the shop. This is because smaller dive shops don't seem to be high priority for some main distributors and so get left behind.

Scuba Sal

:)

Heya all,

Just to let you all know, we have once again started back up our Gear Reviews section and we will be anouncing shortly how we plan to set up the Giving Away of the gear that we review.

=-)

Back
Top Bottom